akathisia

I have symptoms that are related to both parkinsons and akathisia. more toward akathisia. I have random muscle movements, a full body tremor that feels like it is originating in the center of my body and its similar to torture because it just wont stop and when it gets really bad i am practically paralyzed and just have to lay on my bed until it passes, and sometimes i feel this impending sense of doom... and i thought i was going crazy until i read the akathisia description. I went to a neurologist and she never listened to a word i said and thought i was crazy but she prescribed me propranolol and clonazepam which i read is the prescribed treatment, but for me it just exacerbates the doom feeling. i feel trapped and theres no escape from the restlessness.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i also have vertigo that affects me constently. i dont throw up but when i lay down the bed turns upside down and i cant walk without feeling likes my heads on the floor, more like im trying to walk in a moonbounce.
Helpful - 0
Akathesia is generally defined as a desire to remain in motion. I had akathesia as a side effect of antipsychotics which was temporary and now I have tardive akathesia (among many of variants of tardive dyskinesia) which is permanent but both respond to the treatments you mentioned and don't have vertigo as a symptom. It might be something different so they should run further tests to see what exactly is going on especially where the vertigo is coming from. It might be a good idea to see a cardiologist as well. There might be more going on than what was diagnosed and they might have a better idea of how to treat it if they ran further tests.
Helpful - 0
I just wanted to provide what moral support I could. I too am suffering from mild akathisia, after a run-in antipsychotics. It's not a good feeling, needing to be moving all the time, but hopefully devout treatment can help.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Parkinson’s Disease Community

Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life