Recurring HIGH fever in a 1 year old..

Hi. My son is 13 months old. Since he was about 5 months old, he has off and on developed fevers. He developed teeth early ( he has 13 teeth now) and had several colds from daycare. At the age of around 8 months old, he developed a 106 fever and was rushed to the ER. They sent us home that night with antibiotics and said it was a virus. Since then, yes since then.. he has had a fever on and off. A week has not gone by without developing a fever in between the range of 100-105. Many times, he has no other sympton AT ALL. Now, it has been 7 weeks with recurring HIGH ( 101-104) FEVER. Every time we take him to the doctor, they say it is justa virus and to let it pass. I cannot take this "virus thing" as the answer anymore. Is it just me? Am I crazy or is this abnormal? What does this sound like to you? I need a doctor to help him!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
well I guess the infectious disease dr said that his levels are nothing to be concerned about.I guess some peds.have diiferent levels that they go by.Maybe hoping to look for something as he cannot explain anything.The infec. dr said to keep watching him and keep a diary of the fevers.If he spikes again at the end of the month then he has something to go by.Otherwise we are seeing him in a months time.
But I guess my son is not that serious as his is not having the febrile siezures as some of the kids are.He is just constantly running a low grade fever that disrupts his day on and off.Sometimes it will get as high as 101.6F.I guess as a mother you always worry about your kids.The dr did say that is it not normal to run a fever permanantly.I guess he is hoping that some other symptoms will show later on.If anyone has had anything similar please let me know.Thanks in advance.
Helpful - 0
This might sound crazy but we are very happy we are 1 1/2 days with a normal temp.Rectal of 98.4F.My son normally runs at 97F.He is also acting well.I hope that we are on the road to recovery.My ped.is still concerned about the hematocrit level so we are restesting his CBC in 2 weeks time.He finishes his iron tomorrow.I will be glad with that I am done with changing black poop. I will update you all once hw has the next CBC done.
Helpful - 0
Well he woke Sunday with a fever on 101F.No suprise there.He is also saying that when I rub on his hip bones he says no.which means that it hurts him or they are tender.Anyone have any ideas?Thanks.
Helpful - 0
We have been dealing with monthly fevers also.  My son is 15 months old and has been having fevers for 4-5 months now.  Finally this time they put him in the hospital for testing.  His blood count is always normal, but he always has an extremely high crp level.  It goes up with his fever.  Then when his fever drops so does his crp level.  This time his crp level was at 230 which is extremely high.  So now they are sending us to a rheumatologist.
Helpful - 0
Good news!!! we went  to see a hematologist and he has no blood disorders.They may be looking at Malaria and other things that are rare.We are wating to see if he spikes in a couple days.will let you all know.Thanks
Helpful - 0
Awesome! Thanks for the update.  I will be taking my son to an infectious disease doc in a couple of weeks.  He did get a fever again this month, but he had a throat infection.  At least there was a reason this time!  Look forward to hearing how your son is doing.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pediatrics Community