Avatar universal

Advice, please.

Hello, I am a 25 year old female and I have recently (in the past month and a half or so) found a bulge at the back of my vagina. After doing a lot of research I am very convinced that this pelvic organ prolapse. I have been taking opioid pain medication for over 5 years, which has resulted in chronic constipation through out these years. I believe this bulge is my rectum protruding through the pelvic wall. I have no health insurance and my only chance of getting any type of medical coverage is by applying for Medicade or something like that. Although I am a student and I don't have a job, I still don't know if I will qualify though. I am very scared. I've never had any kind of serious medical problem before. I suffer from GERD and I have been addicted to pain medication for several years and recently quit smoking cigarettes. I am not taking anything currently for my acid re flux and for my addiction to pain medication I was put on methadone and am going to begin lowering my dose in order to tapper off with in the next month or so. I believe that years of chronic constipation due to the opioids is what has caused this to happen to me. I don't know what to do. I am so upset with myself for becoming addicted to drugs, I have put my body through so much for these years and now I am paying for it. I don't think this is something that I should go to an ER for, but I know that I need to be seen by a doctor and properly diagnosed and the thought of having to wait months until I am able to get some kind of medical coverage really bothers me. I don't even know that I will be able to get it at all. I feel very lost. I have no one to talk to about this. I don't want to talk to my boyfriend about it right now. I will probably tell my mother, but I'm not too keen on the idea since I know that will come with a lot of reminders on how I have ruined my body with drugs. :( If any one has any kind of advice at all, I would really appreciate it. Thank you so much.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
1344197 tn?1392819171
Pelvic Organ Prolapse in general is not a life threatening condition.  It is however often life altering because of symptoms.  An examination is really the only way to tell if you do indeed have POP.  There should be low cost clinics in your area, Planned Parenthood, that should be able to do a pelvic exam and tell you if you have POP.  You can read more about POP at http://www.drjkm.com/services-2/female-pelvic-medicine-reconstructive-surgeryurogynecology/#pelvic   J. Kyle Mathews, MD

Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Like you I struggle with the insurance issue. I am forced to do a job that aggravates all this but need the insurance, so I stay there. I wear a pessary for support.
Don't be so hard on yourself, it may not be all due to constipation but a genetic tendancy also.
I was never aware I was hurting my body either by lifting so much but I am paying for it now, that and not being aware of the pelvic floor anatomy and POP. I wish someone would have told me.
You said you were a student, I beleive there is insurance for students a friend told me about, she said google  health care insurance for sudents, it is from the government.
It is funny you mention GERD I have silent reflux, (similiar). I have always taken alot of supplements, sometimes I wonder if our body is tellling only put only natural food in our bodies.
Currently I take cell salt 1 , calcium flouride,  do kegels, watch lifting and wear support.
I hope this helps you
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pelvic Organ Prolapse (POP) Forum

Popular Resources
STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
From skin changes to weight loss to unusual bleeding, here are 15 cancer warning signs that women tend to ignore.