for hamster pain

My hamster is about 2 years old and I know that he is "old" for a hamster.  My problem is...in January I took him to the vet to have is teeth and nails clipped.  He is a very squirmy little guy and I ask for him to be put under for the event.  (this was the only time I have had him to the vet)  They did not put him under and I was not happy.  Once we got home I thought he would die.  He did not eat for the first few days and did not eat normally for several weeks.  He lost half his body weight and is just now getting it back up.  (I can still feel all his ribs)  He is not running in his wheel and sleeping a lot more (none was normal till the vet visit) and he now walks hunched over and falls when he tries to stand on his back feet.  I think they hurt his back, but I DO NOT want to take him back.  (Most vets will not even see hamsters)  What can I give him if he is in pain?  It’s been 3 months and he no longer stretches and is only active for about 10 minutes a night.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I am sorry to hear about what happened to your hamster at the vet! Go to a vet known as an "exotics" vet...or an "avian specialist" is often an exotics vet. My mouse has a malformed bite, and as you know, rodents' teeth never stop growing. They need stuff to gnaw on to keep them trimmed. In the case of your hamster, if his teeth were growing over too much it would make them locked together or even protrude into the opposing gumline. My vet uses Isoflurane (sp?) to put him under anesthesia, and then trims his teeth. There is NO WAY he would be still to try this procedure without anesthesia!! You can try the RMCA.org for vet referrals by particular state. The website is for pet rats and mice, but alot of information is certainly transferable for your hamster! BTW, my vet has used a formulation for "pain" called Medicam. He makes it up special according to the mouses weight. Please find another QUALIFIED vet! My heart goes out to you!
Kathleen
Helpful - 0
On another note...and I hope not to sadden you, but if your baby is so ill, ( and yes, older) and you decide to put him to sleep, MAKE SURE the vet puts him under the isoflurane anesthesia, before he inserts (administers) the needle with the medication in it that "puts him to sleep" ! If an injection is given just into his abdomen or by the heart stick method, that is NOT the standard. It is considered the most humane way to put them under anesthesia first, other wise it is painful! I recently had to have my female mouse, Miss Muffett, put to sleep in this manner with the anesthesia, and it is the approved way of doing that procedure on small mammals. Please take care, and know you are a wonderful mommy to your little hamster!
Kathleen
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community

Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.