swollen red eye

my hamster podge has a deep red eye which is swollen do you know what it could be?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Just as humans get eye infections (pink eye), animals can get it too. That would take some medication to clear it up. Or he may have an injury to the eye. Look around his cage and see if there's anything that may have scratched or poked him in the eye. That may clear up on its own but there's a chance of infection too. Either way, it might be best to see a vet about some eye ointment for him.
Helpful - 0
I read that hay and alfalfa bedding can poke hamsters eyes and hurt them because the stems are pokey on the end. If you have been useing these for bedding or treats maybe this could have hurt your hammie.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community

Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.