under weight rat

Is there anything i can feed my rat to make him gain weight?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i have plenty of  vets where i am. but i dont have the money to get him checked out.
Helpful - 0
Hmm, it sounds like he may have some respiratory thing going on. If an animal is a bit stressed, they breath differently and that's when a lung problem may show up. I see that at work. An animal at rest seems normal but when I go into the cage, they may cough or wheeze or make strange crackling/croaking sounds. Then I know they need to be checked more thoroughly to determine which medication they need. Is there a small animal clinic near you that would take a listen to his lungs?
Helpful - 0
i just listened to him them and it is his breathing. but he can turn it on and off. like he's not doing it all the time.
Helpful - 0
lol sorry i meant croaking when he breaths. i dont know much about rats so it could be him grinding his teeth i guess. but it gets really loud sometimes.
Helpful - 0
Sorry - but I'm not sure what you mean when you wrote "he is cracking but lately ive noticed he can turn it on and off." Does he have a crackling sound when he breathes? Or is he grinding his teeth?

Helpful - 0
well he is sick too, he is cracking but lately ive noticed he can turn it on and off. where as before it was all the time. i feed them breeders chioce from the pet shop. brocoli and cucumber. but lately ive been feeding them cheerios(the cereal), puppy biscuts and sunflower seeds. and the only seem to mainly eat the cheerios. i just want him to put on weight cause my bigger male picks on him.
Helpful - 0
What is he eating now? Have you noticed a decrease in his appetite? My female rat is getting older and she needs to go on a diet LOL.  I feed her a very mixed rat food product from the pet store (not just lab chow) and supplement her with fresh veggies, occasional bit of fruit and an occasional treat like a bit of muffin or cookie.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Pocket Pets & Small Animals Community

Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.