Pregnancy Community
72.4k Members
5615074 tn?1378316840


So I have a three and a half year old and I am 12 weeks pregnant with my second. They both have the same dad. Anyways since I told him I was pregnant again he has hardly spent any time with us. So I was wondering, can a mother take the father to court and have it court ordered that he sign his rights over? I am giving him probably until the new baby is around 3 months to step up to the plate and be a dad.
2 Responses
Avatar universal
All I know is do not have him sign the birth certificate.It will make tthings easier if you don't want him around! Good luck
Avatar universal
you cant "make" him sign his rights over and the courts wont either, but you could at least take him to court and get full custody since he's putting forth no effort(which you would have to prove to a judge that he's just naturally avoiding you and the kids instead of working or something that pertains to that).. if you don't put him on the birth certificate for the second one you wont be able to get child support and he wont be able to see the baby unless he pays for a dna test in court(but this wouldn't affect your 3 year old, he would still have partial custody of her and be initialed to rights).. but the only way the courts would make the father sign over custody to the mother is if he was abusive to the kids or anything to do with that matter or if he leaves for more than 12 consecutive months without coming back(without giving you money to support her)
Have an Answer?
Top Pregnancy Answerers
13167 tn?1327194124
Austin, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Get information and tips on how to help you choose the right place to deliver your baby.
Get the facts on how twins and multiples are formed and your chance of carrying more than one baby at a time.
Learn about the risks and benefits of circumcision.
What to expect during the first hours after delivery.
Learn about early screening and test options for your pregnancy.
Learn about testing and treatment for GBS bacterium.