Respiratory Disorders Forum

Abnormal PFTs

Can anyone please help me understand this PFT report:  

Pulmonary Function Test Interpretation
"The tracings are reasonably well performed, reproducible and suitable for interpretation.  The spirometry is normal.
There is no air trapping.  The lung volumes are normal.  There is an abnormality in the FEF/FIF 50 of 1.44.  This can sometimes be seen in upper airway obstruction.  There does seem to be some flattening of the inspiratory limb, and this can be seen in variable extrathoracic upper airway obstruction.  If this is considered plausible, then imaging of the neck or direct visualization with endoscopy is considered."  I am a 38 y/o female, smoker, no history of asthma.  Any help is appreciated.  Thanks.
These results are slightly suggestive of airflow obstruction in the upper airways (trachea and larynx).  Such obstruction can be anatomical or functional, the latter dysfunction of the vocal cords, the most common cause of “variable extra-thoracic obstruction.  These findings may prove to be insignificant but they should not be ignored.  I favor direct visualization of your upper airways by fiberoptic endoscopy and, should that be at all suspicious but not diagnostic, followed by bronchoscopy.

Good luck
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.