Respiratory Disorders Forum

back and chest pain with cough

A week ago I had a head cold with stuffy nose. Started taking expectorant and nasal decongestant. Now I have had a cough that keeps me up at night. I have some clear phlegm that comes up, not alot. The problem is I am now wheezing when I inhale and the cough is pretty constant and my back, chest and stomach hurt from the coughing. It's a deep cough. I feel like I will throw up. The cough bothers me day and night. I'm using vicks vapor rub. Is this just a cold, flu or is it more serious?  I don't have insurance so I need to know if I need to see a doctor.

This may simply be a cold, possibly with an element of bronchitis.  That you are wheezing, when you inhale, could simply be due to mucus in your windpipe and voice box.  Wheezing when you exhale would be a sign of asthma and that is another possibility.
Whatever is going on, should it last for more than 7 to 10 days, it is unlikely to just be a cold.  Another sign of its not just being a cold would be fever >100 to 101 degrees.  And another sign is if you are experiencing shortness of breath.  In either of these events, yes, you should see your doctor.

Good luck.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Tricks to help you quit for good.
Is your area one of the dirtiest-air cities in the nation?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.