Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Community
180 Members

Does this sound like RA or a combonation of RA and other diseases?

I am a 60 year old female. About two-and-a-half months ago I started having pains in the balls of both feet and all my toes-sometimes sharp stabbing pains in my toes. About a month later I woke up with painful stiff swollen hands and fingers (both hands) also occasionally with sharp stabbing pains in fingers. I went to my family doctor who suspected RA and sent me for blood tests. Some of the results are as follows: Rheumatoid factor 387 IU/mL, ESR sed rate 67 mm/Hr, C-reactive protein 3.8 mg/dL, ANA screen positive, ANA titer 1:160, ANA pattern by IFA homogeneous, RNP Antibody positive, RNP Antibody units 239 U/mL, Other antibody (SS-A, SS-B, Smith, Scleroderma IgG, Jo1, Centrome, Histone) results negative. Does this sound like RA and Lupus?  Of course, I am going to go to a Rheumatologist but appt. is 6 weeks away. Does anyone have any advice on what to do until my Rheumatologist appt? Would appreciate any info and advice and support. Thank you.
I am a 81 year old male with RA. I had the same problem and could not get an RA doctor in my state or 2 surrounding states to accept me for three months. They were all full up. I just had to get on pain medication until a doctor intervened and persuaded an RA doctor to sign me up. They got it settled down for the last 4 years now
Diagnosis and differential diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis:
https://www.uptodate.com/contents/diagnosis-and-differential-diagnosis-of-rheumatoid-arthritis
Your clinical/laboratory presentation is suspicious for rheumatoid arthritis. I would advise you try to get an earlier appointment with your rheumatologist. You can ask to be placed on a waiting list if any patients cancel their appointments, as last minute cancellations often occur. In the meantime, you can take over-the-counter NSAIDs, to hold you over until you can see your rheumatologist, who can prescribe you DMARDs, biologics, and/or corticosteroids.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.