RA blood work question

Is it possible to have false positives in blood work? My doctor did some blood tests to rule out certain things along with MRIs to rule out MS. First I was told my Rheumatoid Factor was elevated (it was 29) so my doctor did a test to check my Citrulline(?) levels which they say is also elevated. I don't really have any pain except maybe occasional lower back stiffness but I am a nanny to a 2 year old and 4 month old so I'm constantly holding a baby!!! I'm waiting on a rheumatologist appt but have been reading about RA online and it has me terrified!! Please help!
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
They also said my ANA was negative and SED rate was normal.
Helpful - 0
Anyone?
Helpful - 0
Hello and Welcome. Please excuse my tardy response.

It is possible for there to be false positives - and for there to be no explainable reasons for them. I'm sorry you're terrified. I understand your fear - but it's early my dear. You have little to go on and nothing positive at this point.

I am not dismissing your fear - please don't think that. I just want to encourage you to think positive.

There are over 100 different types of inflammatory diseases - arthritic type conditions. Most are managed well with treatments or medications. These conditions can be very slow to worsen and many ppl can be SX (symptom) free for years.

My Uncle has had an inflammatory condition for 40 years. Different physicians have put different names on his disease and I still think they don't truly know. His latest DX by a Rheumatologist is Undifferentiated Systemic Inflammatory Arthritis. A mouth full - and no other physician seems to even know what that means.  

Why am I telling you this? Because he's 70 years old and gets around better than I do. He is still working. He's had positive ANAs and all the other RA markers and he's also had times that they have been negative.

So hang in my friend. Wait till all the medical testing is complete and the Rheumatologist provides you with an opinion. Not only do we have some great options today, there are new medications and treatments on the horizon. Science is on your side.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you are doing. I'll be interested to hear the end results. I'll watch for your updates.

Peace,
~Tuck
Helpful - 0
Thank you so much for your reply. I have an appointment with a Rheumatologist tomorrow morning so hopefully that will provide me with some answers! I will update on here and again I really appreciate your response!
Helpful - 0
And I appreciate your reply. I wish you well today and am looking forward to hearing your update.

My Best,
~Tuck
Helpful - 0
The Rheumatologist says that without any persistent or significant joint pain that the blood results only mean that I may be at a higher risk in the future. So, I guess now I wait!
Helpful - 0
It makes sense to me. Remember being at higher risk does not mean you are going to develop RA or an inflammatory condition.

My sister was told 30 years ago that she would develop diabetes - not an if - but when. She is near 60 and has no signs of the disease. I'm not saying it will never happen but years later she is symptom free. So have faith.

Thanks for the update. It is appreciated.

Good Luck,
~Tuck
Helpful - 0
an elevated rheumatoid factor at 29 is not terribly helpful.  the anti-ccp test is more specific. if you had a positive rheumatoid factor AND anti-ccp, well then, yes, worry about RA.  like 5% of folks have a + RF.  with back pain...and no pain in hands/feet...not my top concern.  it can be elevated in hepatitis C and other liver disease, other rheumatic conditions BUT you don't seem to have symptoms of those, some infections like TB, syphillis, hepatitis. any lung/respiratory issues or skin problems? any abnormalities with your WBC (very high or very low), anemia, low platelets?
Helpful - 0
i know this response is 2 months later, but curious if any further workup was done.
Helpful - 0
It's my understanding she had no other SX - and no other tests were ordered other than the ones stated.

Her MD dismissed her concerns at this time. Time will tell.

Thanks for your input.

~Tuck
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?