PCR test...does it automatically test for both CT and NG

I have a general question about the "PCR" test for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea.

I had one about a month or more ago. They did the test due to my sexually activity, and since i had chlamydia once before in the past.

The Dr. said the test was a PCR for Chlamydia. It was negative. Based on the symptoms i was having i was more worried about Gonorrhea.

Does the PCR for Chlamydia AUTOMATICALLY test for gonorrhea as well? is that a standard test that would pick up either, or do they both specifically have to be looked for in the test. my worry is i was negative for CT but never tested for GC

I tried to ask another Dr, and he said not to worry, as i also had a urinalysis, and that if i had any type of infections, regardless what it was C. .or N.G. etc, the urinaylsis would show something which would prompt them to do a more specific test....is that correct? i was under the impression specific tests were always needed and urinalysis would not show things like C.t or N.G.

I've put the answers in capital letters for clarity.  

"Does the pcr for Chlamydia automatical test for gonorrhea as well? "
                 NO
"the urinaylsis would show something which would prompt them to do a more specific test....is that correct?"
                THAT IS CORRECT.   IF THEY DIDN'T SEE AN INFECTION IN URINALYSIS
                 AND HAD NO REASON TO DO ANOTHER TEST THEN YES.

GO TO ANOTHER CLINIC AND DEMAND A GONORRHEA TEST.    
thanks very much. i had assumed they would have tested for both initially.

can i ask, when a urinalysis is perfromed, if someting like NG was present, would something show up that would prompt them to run more tested, like for example a higher than normal LEU count?
you'd have white cells in the urine if you had active gonorrhea most likely.

are you still having symptoms or have they passed?

bottom line is - if you were having unprotected sex, you should screen for all std's at the appropriate time. syphilis is 6 weeks post encounter, herpes and hiv is 3 months post encounter. if your symptoms are gone, just wait and screen for gonorrhea again then.

grace
Is that what high leu means? High white blood cells? They dipped my urine at the drs office and said my leu was high. The next day I had urinalysis, ct test and prostate blood work....all was fine. Would NG show symptoms in those tests that would prompt further testing? They said I was fine. But my testicle pain its not going away
...and get tested for urethritis and gonorrhea. First a sample from your urethra to look whether there is an infection there (urethritis) by looking for leukocytes, then also tests for gonorrhea and chlamydia. You may also have NSU (urethritis not caused by chlam or gonorrhea), depending on what they find in your urethra and on your tests.

Gonorrhea usually (but not always) causes profound symptoms.

You are reading content posted in the STDs / STIs Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.