Syphilis tests

Hey ,

Would a syphilis test, both non treponemal test or treponemal tests, be affected by taking 2 days of doxycycline prior to the test?

By 2 days of doxy I mean 500mg to be exact.

P.S. http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Can-Antibiotics-Affect-TPHA-Test/show/756961
In that post edward hook says 2 days of doxy would have no effect. Interpret this how you please.

Thanks for any answers.
Would not affect the test.  

The tests look for the immune system's response to the bacteria, not the bacteria themselves.  Eight weeks after putative infection, the immune system would be active, and the antibodies would be detectable.  If the drug killed the bacteria two days prior to the test, the immune system would still be on high alert, and both trep and non-trep would be positive.  It takes a while (months) for the non-treponemal response to go down after successful treatment, and the treponemal response may never go down.  
Also forgot to mention that the test would done 8 weeks post exposure.
Thanks alot,

The tests turned out negative today. I'm relieved. It's time to move on with my life.

You are reading content posted in the STDs / STIs Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.