Aa
A
A
A
Close
STDs / STIs Community
39.4k Members

Throat Gonorrhea

Back in late June,  I tested positive for throat gonorrhea and rectal gonorrhea (Swabs), but negative on urine G/C test and all other STI's. On the day I got tested, I was administered Rocephin (IM shot) and oral Z-pack (Azithromycin). I got retested last week and the rectal swab came back Negative, but the throat swab remained positive. The doc told me that gonorrhea in the throat is tricky to teat and that this was becoming common. He ordered a culture w/ sensitivity and resistance testing to be done from a new throat swab. Why is gonorrhea from the throat such a challenge to treat?
1 Responses
3149845 tn?1506627771
COMMUNITY LEADER
Its not its a challange to treat its that the medications are less effective in treating the thoat area. So when you were given treatment for the anal gono it was not as effective in treating the oral at the same time and a different meditication would be used.
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Can HIV be transmitted through this sexual activity? Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia answers this commonly-asked question.
A breakthrough study discovers how to reduce risk of HIV transmission by 95 percent.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.