Ureaplasma

I tested negative for this condition about 1 year ago in a full STD screen from a private clinic. I just had a annual screen last week and I am now positive for Ureaplasma. Over that year only had sex with my girlfriend, unprotected as she was clean too. But does the British NHS routinely screen for UU as I can't even find it on the website when I search for it? She said she got screened during her annual smear and all was well, but do they screen for UU in the UK? It seems that these private clinics push the case that it needs treated ASAP so you pay for the follow up course of antibiotics. Am a male, no symptoms and totally confused?
I don't know what they would screen for, you would have to cal and ask them.
UU is highly controversial as it inhabits the genital tract of many sexually active people.  According to Dr. Hook and HHH, approximately 40% or more of sexually active adults have UU, but it does not cause symptoms or long term health problems in a portion of those people.  If you're having symptoms the standard is to treat you and your partner.  The fact that you tested positive for it doesn't really mean much since this is common to the genital tract, unless you or your partner are having symptoms.  

You are reading content posted in the STDs / STIs Community

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.