hpv transmission

Hello Dr. Edward W Hook, MD
   I have read your answers that hpv is not transmitted through clothing(e.g.someone having sex when her underwear were on the wholetime- The short answer is that HPV is not transmitted through clothing, even if that clothing becomes wet with genital secretions.-nov 01 2011) But I think hpv is virus and very very small why can't it pass through clothing and through skin?Do you have any hpv research in this case? And can hpv be in secretions? If it can why it's not transmitted through the skin?And what's about hsv in the same question? thank you,I am appreciated the things you do so much indeed.
Welcome to the Forum.  You are correct, viruses and, for that matter, bacteria can pass through clothing that has been wet with genital secretions.  Despite that however, the are no instances in which STDs, including HPV have been shown to be transmitted in this way.  There are a number of reasons which contribute to this. These include that microorganisms have a tendency to stick to material fibers when they come in contact, that the exposure to the environment damages the organisms and that the biology of transmission of HPV and other STDs seems to depend upon DIRECT contact between infected and un-infected epithelial surfaces for transmission to occur.  Neither of us working on this Forum have ever seen HPV or HSV transmitted through clothing.  Perhaps it is theoretically possible but it is certainly not something to worry about.  EWH
Thank you for your good answer.Can I think another reason that the number of virus required for infection,In this case,most of them can't pass through clothing?
You are correct, the more viruses that are present, the more likely infection is to occur. EWH
Thank you, I appreciate you.

You are reading content posted in the STDs Forum

Here are 16 facts you need to know to protect yourself from contracting or spreading a sexually transmitted disease.
How do you keep things safer between the sheets? We explore your options.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
The warning signs of HIV may not be what you think. Our HIV and STD expert Sean Cummings reports in-depth on the HIV "Triad" and other early symptoms of this disease.