Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
1419937 tn?1302557849

schizophrenia types?

are there different types of schizophrenia ?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
585414 tn?1288941302
  Only a psychiatrist would understand this in full. However, some of the basics that a mental health consumer could understand could be summarized somewhat like this (I obtained information on my disability over the years for informational purposes, I have schizoaffective disorder). Paranoid schizophrenia involves paranoid delusions or fears or persecution. Disorganized schizophrenia involves mainly disturbances in relating to people and behavior patterns. Catatonic schizophrenia involves catatonia which has symptoms that involves frozen motions that can occur for hours or days at a time. Those are the 3 basics. Schizophrenia has a whole involves positive symptoms (not as in good but as in things that are there that shouldn't be such as psychotic thoughts and delusions and auditory hallucinations ("hearing voices") negative symptoms (such as avoiding people) and cognitive symptoms (difficulty relating to or understanding ideas). As well there is schizophrenia with a mood disorder which is schizoaffective disorder (such as I have). The full information is far more clinically complex and can be found in the DSM-4 (statistical manual psychiatrists use). You could discuss any specific concerns with your psychiatrist and there is informational material such as pamphlets from NAMI that provide a helpful explanation for each psychiatric disability.
Helpful - 0
675718 tn?1530033033
i have schizophrenia
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Schizophrenia Community

Top Schizophrenia Answerers
675718 tn?1530033033
El Paso, TX
Learn About Top Answerers
Popular Resources
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?