schizophrenia types?

are there different types of schizophrenia ?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
  Only a psychiatrist would understand this in full. However, some of the basics that a mental health consumer could understand could be summarized somewhat like this (I obtained information on my disability over the years for informational purposes, I have schizoaffective disorder). Paranoid schizophrenia involves paranoid delusions or fears or persecution. Disorganized schizophrenia involves mainly disturbances in relating to people and behavior patterns. Catatonic schizophrenia involves catatonia which has symptoms that involves frozen motions that can occur for hours or days at a time. Those are the 3 basics. Schizophrenia has a whole involves positive symptoms (not as in good but as in things that are there that shouldn't be such as psychotic thoughts and delusions and auditory hallucinations ("hearing voices") negative symptoms (such as avoiding people) and cognitive symptoms (difficulty relating to or understanding ideas). As well there is schizophrenia with a mood disorder which is schizoaffective disorder (such as I have). The full information is far more clinically complex and can be found in the DSM-4 (statistical manual psychiatrists use). You could discuss any specific concerns with your psychiatrist and there is informational material such as pamphlets from NAMI that provide a helpful explanation for each psychiatric disability.
Helpful - 0
i have schizophrenia
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Schizophrenia Community