depersonalisation,derealisation.

My 18 yrs old son started college this summer,we live in NJ and went to NYU,staying there for 3 nights only,commuting from home for 2 days.For the last 4 to 5 weeks he says he is living in a dream like situation,everything seems like a movie.sometimes he cannot recognize his own parents,but he knows the reality and he is very upset about what's going on with him,he says when he presenting something,it seems he is not himself,someone else talking,but he has all the control,means he can control his talk,a psychiatrist is involved,who thinks,it's too early to make a diagnosis,it could be acute anxiety or something more serious,we can start him on very low dose of resperidone or we can wait.Now he is commuting from home and his father going with him on train and he is doing well in his studies,he scores are still 95 to 100%,we started him on fish oil,niacin and Mvitamins,What could be the diagnosis and prognosis?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Regardless of treatment his symptoms need to improve and its important that they be monitored. Its not schizophrenia itself that is "dreaded" but letting it go untreated. I'm not sure if any of those natural remedies you mentioned have been shown to work in studies and if you go through my posts you would know I am on some natural remedies (rhodiola for tardive dyskinesia, saw palmetto for prostatitis) and have tried others in the past that didn't work. But my psychopharmocologist does use some natural remedies but ones that have confirmed results in clinical studies.
   If your son has seen a psychiatrist why not let him prescribe what medication is needed? I don't believe any of those natural remedies have shown specific results. I have obtained far better results with glycine than any standard antipsychotics but by no means should someone take it on their own nor as a "compound" or "natural remedy" which its not. It would be best if your son start on standard antipsychotics but I can't say they don't have the potential risk of diabetes and the definite potential of tardive dyskinesia as a long term risk. But glycine is still in Phase II FDA study so it has not been approved yet as a medication so they can't guarantee yet that its "safe and effective" although the multiple studies (as I said google "Dr. Javitt, glycine) has shown it to be for 5 years but they need to finish multiple controlled studies before it is approved as a medication. Please have your son get diagnosed and treated by the psychiatrist. If any psychiatrist, including your son's ever authorizes someone taking the experimental treatment I am on, that's within the decision of a medical professional. But psychosis, from schizophrenia or any other disorder should be treated by a psychiatrist. Homeopathy has not proven itself scientifically and most certainly not for schizophrenia.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your reply.My son's psychiatrist did think of schizophrenia and actually that is the most dreadful diagnosis for us,on 3rd Jan,I took my son to an MD in Kedall Park NJ,she is a physician but now practices only hollistic medicine and homeopathy,she started him on vit c 1000mg tid,Niacin2 cap TID,fish oil cap tid and mvit, and she gave him only one dose of homeopathic medicine called chocolate since that was the only thing she found in her book for pt's who do not recognise their relatives,My son is doing much better now,he recognizes his parents and brother 100%,last night he couldn't recognize himself and he said it's scary to look at himself in the mirror,but this morning he reconises everyone including himself.I don't if this is because of that medicine or somthing else or he is recovering from a viral illness but I do signs of definite improvement,We pray a lot and we believe prayers work.Again thanks for your reply.
Helpful - 0
That doesn't sound like acute anxiety. If he says "someone else is talking" that is a symptom of psychosis. As for when he says he "cannot recognize his own parents" that happenned to me before recovery from schizoaffective disorder. The criteria for dissociative identity disorder is rare and usually involves multiple personas that people live through. I experienced a lot of what you are describing from schizoaffective disorder before I recovered with glycine a Phase II experimental antipsychotic in FDA study (for information google "Dr. Javitt, glycine"). That is a glutamate antagonist a new form of antipsychotic in FDA study that will not cause tardive dyskinesia (such as I have in advanced forms including tardive psychosis which I am under study for and creates dissociation in me, that is being treated as well) or diabetes and promotes a fuller recovery.
   The study on me will be published by my psychopharmocologist in a psychiatric journal and I will make the results available. I don't know if providers will incorporate that into treatment but it would have to be their decision. It is still experimental and the fact that its available is not a good thing. Fish oil is something that almost all psychiatrists are aware of (to the point where the anti-cholesterol medication Lovaza developed from it is used experimentally for bipolar) and it works as an adjunct mood stabilizer. It is not however, an antipsychotic which sounds strongly what your son needs. He may have anxiety disorder as well but he is clearly experiencing psychosis and from the description and age the onset of (college age is typical, myself included) schizophrenia. Regardless its definitely more than anxiety disorder. I would speak to the psychiatrist and ask him why he hasn't thought of schizophrenia, schizoaffective, bipolar with psychotic features (if moodswings are involved) or some other psychotic disorder as a diagnosis. He may very well have an answer but its a question that should be asked.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Schizophrenia Community