depersonalisation.

My 18 yrs old son started college this summer,we live in NJ and went to NYU,staying there for 3 nights only,commuting from home for 2 days.For the last 4 to 5 weeks he says he is living in a dream like situation,everything seems like a movie.sometimes he cannot recognize his own parents,but he knows the reality and he is very upset about what's going on with him,he says when he presenting something,it seems he is not himself,someone else talking,but he has all the control,means he can control his talk,a psychiatrist is involved,who thinks,it's too early to make a diagnosis,it could be acute anxiety or something more serious,we can start him on very low dose of resperidone or we can wait.Now he is commuting from home and his father going with him on train and he is doing well in his studies,he scores are still 95 to 100%,we started him on fish oil,niacin and Mvitamins,What could be the diagnosis and prognosis? All his blood work including work up for anemia and lyme disease normal,utox negative,MRI brain and EEG normal.

Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I have been having dp/dr for over 15 years. Mine was caused by severe stress and anxiety. I had ups and downs with treatments but it never went away completely.

Most often it is caused by anxiety and other psychological problems. In many cases it is triggered by smoking weed.

Rarely lyme disease, thyroid and vitamin b12 deficiency is the cause. Also neurological problems can cause it but he has been tested for most of these.

A few people get cured by antidepressants and some get worse by it.

What lessens it and keeps it low, is anti anxiety med called klonopin. But of course it has to be prescribed by a doctor and since your son feels better, then no need to worry.

I wish I could better by using vitamins and fih oil :)

Helpful - 0
I still would reccomend a consultation with a standard psychiatrist for evaluation even if you don't intend to use standard prescription medications. I am well aware of the benefits of alternative treatment but many of what you described has not be shown in studies to work. Fish oil however does have a mood stabilization effect. My psychopharmocologist has used it with me with good results and many others do. The experimental antipsychotic I am on in Phase II FDA study glycine may start to be used be psychiatric professionals as an adjunct to treatment. This is available in powdered compound but must be administered under a psychiatrist's care. The study on myself (I am the only person so far having recovered using it as a primary antipsychotic) will be published in a standard psychiatric journal. In the meantime google "Dr. Javitt, glycine" for the official study. As soon as that is published I will post where it can be found as well as when any public statements are made about this compound in study (which is an antipsychotic agent, not an alternative remedy). Regardless, this must be administered by a psychiatrist under standard medical guidelines and I seriously would not rule out all medical treatment for his schizophrenia. If there was some reason he could not tolerate specific medications you could explain why but it would not make sense to abandon all medical treatment as it would impeed his recovery. Not all clinicians are adverse to natural remedies. My psychopharmocologist does use natural remedies in addition to standard treatment but he researches clinical studies (including in Europe where they are studied and used as prescription medicines) to see which ones are at all effective and safe to take.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your response,my son is doing much better now,almost out of it,no more derealisation or depersonalisation,only occasionally he cannot recognise  any family member or himself for a very brief period.He is on vitamins,niacin and fish oil and a homeopathic medcine called choclate,PRN only when he cannot recognise a family member.I never gave him any prescription medicine.He did well in his final exams in 1st semester,I noticed symptoms get triggered with a little anxiety,now he is out of dorm and feels more secure.
Helpful - 0
Another thing it could be is a blood sugar problem (low blood sugar).  When stressed, blood sugar drops.  Low blood sugar can make a person feel disconnected, unable to focus, unable to make sense of things.  Cheese and crackers help when blood sugar drops and it usually takes about 20 minutes to help.  
Helpful - 0
Anxiety can cause these symptoms. Starting college could have caused the anxiety and until he feels comfortable with college, he may have these symptoms.  Vitamins are good especially multi B vitamin for stress.  I would not use any prescription drugs just yet due to the side effects.  Prescription drugs would be the last to try.  Try vitamins first to see if that helps.    
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Schizophrenia Community