Post-herpetic itching

Any suggestions for relief from extreme itching after shingles?  Rash is gone, and pain has gone also.  However, 9 weeks into it, can't find any relief for the horrible itching.  Many topical creams have been tried, no help.  Benadryl helps some, but cannot use during day because of drowsiness,  Area is around and under nose. Any ideas or reports of anything that has helped would be greatly appreciated.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Your sister developed POST HERPETIC NEURAGIA, the medication GABAPENTIM will stop the itching,usualy it takes  3/4 days after starting with the medication to stop the itching .Some people can stop gabapentim after months,others years,other wont be able to stop ever. Despite is an epileptic drug is used to treat  Post herpetic neuragia.I take 2 gabapentim before bed time.What my doctor explained to me is that the brain keeps sending signals of itching,some people feel the pain after cleared the shingles, and because some nerves were damaged due the shingles the brain keeps sending WRONG SIGNALS, the gabapentim will stop the brain to send the signals to the body(some people itch, others feel pain,others have a burning sensation). If you search a bit you will find thousands of people that had their problem solved with Gabapentim,It will take 3/4 days for the medication to kick in and stop the itching,her life will improve 100%.Good luck
Helpful - 0
sorry i posted your sister, i meant to say YOU,It's because many people asked the same question about the itching ,then i wrote just one answer to everyone that asked about itching relief.
Helpful - 0
I wonder if menthol muscle gel would help... I use it on my face when my rosacea itches.  I also have to avoid high arginine foods ((anti-)herpetic diet), like avoiding nuts, seeds, caffeine, chocolate, etc) to reduce the inflammation flare.
Helpful - 0
Ohh, I've also tried peppermint oil but not as much success as the menthol.  Avoid contaminating your containers... and  AVOID contact with eyes with anything you try on your face.  Wash hands after touching inflamed area. Keep us updated with any success you find.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Shingles Community

Learn to identify and prevent bites from summer’s most common pests.
Doctors argue for legislation to curb this dangerous teen trend in the latest Missouri Medicine report.
10 ways to keep your skin healthy all winter long
How to get rid of lumpy fat on your arms, hips, thighs and bottom
Diet “do’s” and “don’ts” for healthy, radiant skin.
Images of rashes caused by common skin conditions