Dreams/Nightmares that feel real and I can't wake myself up

Okay, So every now and then I will have a dream or dreams that really scare me. Pretty much its a dream I'm having and I'm myself... in my bed. In my dream I will open my eyes and see human figures but usually I can't tell who it is. If I can't its dark like a shadow. Sometimes its one, or sometimes it a few figures. These dreams/visions always happen just as I'm falling asleep (ya know when your mind starts to wonder right before you doze off, eyes are closed and everythign but you are still conscious).... that stage is when I realize that I'm about to have one of these scary dreams. so I'll either opt to stay awake or turn the lights on for a minute then try to sleep again. The most recent one I had, I was asleep in my bed with my boyfriend...in the dream I opened my eyes and I saw out of the corner of my room a strange figure of a man walking towards my bed.... I cant do anything, I cant move and I can't talk... at this point I'm scared and I know I am ony dreaming. Well I try to wake my self up I try so hard to be able to speak and call my boyfriends name... and this is all while i'm asleep... that right as I wake up I blurt out a noise( the kidna noise you would make if you were trying really hard at something but not saying anything and then all of a sudden noise comes out) It's so frustrating. And in the dream I feel paralyzed like I can't even get up and run. All I can do is lay there... and If I don't wake up before the person gets to me... I can feel the "person" on top of me... literally..I feel their breathe... I feel it all... and what gets me is I KNOW I'm dreaming... and i try to wake up but I cant. and even though I'm aware that I'm dreaming I still know that I'm feeling whoever is on my bed or whatever)
The first time I had one of these very realistic dreams was a couple years ago the night after I drank mooshine for the first time.... ha yeah. (Basically I had a really bad case of the spins alll day the next day and I felt completely out of whack) Well that night as I just went to sleep I was dreaming that I was driving a car and the wheel starting to slowly turn to the left and right as I was about to hit a car my body jerked and I woke up. I stayed awake for a min or 2 then went back to sleep... thats when it all went down hill. The next dream I had... I was in my bed (by the way all these dreams are from my point of view...1st person) and I woke up to see a frightening girl with long black stringy hair and a horrible face, on her hands and knees on top of me just looking at me and breathing heavily.... I swear to god it felt so real.... The only thing I could think to do was hide under the blanket... but right before i drew the balnket over my eyes she slowly, very slowy moved her face inwards towards me. I knew I was dreaming but I could not wake up... Well once I did wake up... well I thought I did... I looked to the left of my bed and there was a about 3 people just sitting in my room... it didnt scare me at first cuz I thought I was awake and I figured maybe it is some freiends surprsiing me... but just as I tried to get a closer look a person who was laying on the floor next to my bed sat up right in my face! It scared the livivng **** outta me. that's when I really for real woke up. Anways I couldnt go back to sleep for a few hours I was a little frightened... I felt as though I would get stuck in a dream like that... And I wanted to avoid haveing another one like that again... I did go to sleep that night however all of the lights in my room were on....
I know this is really long. But I just wanted to know if anyone has experienced the same thing or something similar. I'eve had more but I don't want to write a whole novel here but if someone can relate then please let me know!
This has been happening to me as well for about 20 years.  I'm 36 now!  I have to say that it has not happened in the past 6 years, when I was living with my boyfriend and felt safe and happy.  We recently broke up and I have been going through severe depression and stress.  I was very angry when I fell asleep last night (I also took Tylenol Cold and Flu Night formula).   This happened to me for the first time in years.  Luckily, after praying to Jesus to protect me and wake me up and trying to scream for help for what seemed like FOREVER, I was able to scream outloud and my roommate heard me, ran in and woke me up.  I scared the hell out of her because she had never heard anyone yell like that before. l never sleep on my back and never have.  I swear I am awake half the time and can see the minutes change on my alarm clock next to my bed and when I wake up it is the same exact time as my "dream".  I also felt a demon in my dream as well and I swear it was biting my hand and I felt it when I woke up.  There were no marks, I'm sure it is psychological.   I think that it is related to stress in your life and your own personal "demons" and fears. I am scared to death to fall asleep tonight and let me tell you....I will not be taking nightime cold medicine ever again!   Good luck everyone.  I don't know what the answer is.  I just hope this goes away for good....for all of us.
I've felt basicly all of these effects. The shadow figures, the hearing of sound or music thats not there. To the very very vivid dreams I know arn't real, those suck sometimes, especialy when you cant wake up from them or you wake up in your bed just to find out your still dreaming! yea woke up 7 times in dreaming before I finally woke up for real. but the freakiest thing was the shadows, but i could feel them they were walkking around my be touching my feet!
hi im new here!!!
i have been spending all morning searching for answers to my question. i have not came across any thing till now... im preety shocked...
i would say about a year ago i lived in another house, my whole family thought it was haunted because alot of strange unexplainable things would happen but i had my own experiences and it would take place at night. just when i thought i was falling into deep sleep within a minute or so i would barely slowly open my eyes to a figure standing at the end of my feet on top of my bed i would suddenly feel a huge amount of weight fall right on top of me having the feeling to struggle breathing, i would close and open my eyes i felt my self trying to reach out to my husband i would speak and call out his name but my voice would not come out and i would feel a huge gelatine over me!!!
it happened plenty of times to me it actually got to a point were i would try to say my husbands name but what was coming out from my voice was saying 'im going to kill you'' at the end my husband would somehow wake up to me and stop it.butwhat is extremely scary is that it feels real.

i am just going to believe that what was going on was this paralysis sleep thing
I know exactly what your experiencing, it used to happen tome nearly every night but it stopped for a while but last night it happened again. I dreamt i woke up and i saw someone right infront of my bed and i instantly knew it was one of those dreams so i closed my eyes and tried to wake up. but i just felt so numb and felt like i had pins and needles all over my body. and while that was happening I heard a voice that seemed so real like i was hearing it in my room while i was sleeping (if you know what i mean) anyway i finally woke up trying to scream. then I fell back asleep and the exact same thing happen but this time i felt a hand on my cheek. if felt so realy i tried screaming for my mum in the next room but nothing came out. when this happens to me i try to convince myself its just a dream but it seems way more than that. like someone trying to take over your body. i hate the feeling.
I have these dreams all the time. I can't explain why. And when I wake
Up my heart is pounding. And I swear
I feel as if someone or something is
Trying to get me. I'm not on any meds
And I get plenty of rest. And my dreams
Sound exactly like urs. But I can never
See who is actually after me. Did
U ever find out what ur problem was?

You are reading content posted in the Sleep Disorders Community

Healing home remedies for common ailments
Dr. Steven Park reveals 5 reasons why breathing through your nose could change your life
Want to wake up rested and refreshed?
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.