MRI Results... HELP me to Intrepit it PLEASE!

MRI Results on Cervical Spine:
There is disc space narrowing and particularly at the C5-6 level with associated spurring at the end plate margins.

C5-C6: there is a diffuse and somewhat bilobed disc-osteophyte complex causing anterior extradural defect on the thecal sac with slight mass effect on the cord. there is moderate right and severe left for forminal stenosis.

C6-C7: there is a mild diffuse disc-osteophyte complex greater towards the right. there is mild left and severe right forminal stenosis.

IMPRESSION:
There is degenerative disc disease of the lower cervical spine levels as detailed above. no significant findings are as follows :
C5-6:  diffuse disc-osteophyte complex causing slight cord compression with moderate right and severe left for aminal stenosis .
C6-7: right posterolateral disc-osteophyte complex causing severe right foraminal stenosis.

LUMBAR SPINE RESULTS:

Findings:  there is mild straightening of the lumbar lordosis. there is slight retrolisthesis of L5 over S1, apparently on the basis of facet joint arthropathy.  no pars inter articulates defect is identified. there is diffuse narrowing of the disc spaces. several small Schmorl's node's are noted. the vertebral body heights are otherwise maintained. the osseous structures demonstrate normal marrow signal intensity. the conus Medullaris terminates normally at the L 1–2 level.

L1-L2: mild diffuse disc bulge without significant mass effect

L4-L5:  mild diffuse circumferential disc bulge with a superimposed shallow posterior midline herniation. mild bilateral facet and ligamentum flavum hypertrophy he contribute to moderate right and mild left lateral recess stenosis. there may be a slight mass effect  on the right L5 nerve root. the exit foramina are patent.

L5-S1:  bilateral facet arthropathy with small bilateral facet joint effusions. there is a large right paramedian disc herniation extending into the lateral recess and origin of the right exit foremen. fragment measures 1.6 cm transverse by 1.3 cm AP. it displaces and probably compresses the right S1 nerve root.

IMPRESSION:
There is mild degenerative disc disease throughout the lumbar spine as detailed above the most significant findings are as follows:

L4-5: diffuse disc bulge with the posterior central protrusion contributing to moderate right and mild left lateral recess stenosis. there may be a slight mass effect on the right L5 nerve root.

L5-S1: large right lateral recess disc herniation displacing and probably compressing the right S1 nerve root.

What does all this mean? Any help I'd greatly appreciate!! Ty. God Bless
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest

Hi and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

I am sorry I am not able to help with your MRI interpretation...

What I will ask is, what issues/symptoms were you having that you had this testing done.

Degenerative disk disease is not a disease at all but normal wear and tear of the spine...some of  us suffer more wear and tear and have effects earlier in life....some of this could be due to how we live, injuries we may have had,

You do have a bulging disk, and that could be an issue...but your Dr will be better to explain these findings....

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out.
Helpful - 0
I can help a little. Spurring is what I have too. When the bones are building up towards each other usually from a narrowing of the disc. Stenosis is the compressing of the spine as it pertains to hitting the nerve fibers. Disc osteophytes are bone spurs. We have the same problems. Our discs in our necks are basically degenerating/narrowing. The body sees this and does what nature has taught it to do, and that is to fuse the bones together to prevent a major spine injury.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community