Protective Muscle Spasm (Neck)

I'm posting mainly to see if I can get responses for a few questions, not necessarily to get the entire problem, which will probably involve lots of physical therapy and currerntly forces me to lay down ~23 hours/day, diagnosed/fixed.
Details: I've had a protective muscle spasm around c6/c7/t1 for almost a year now. It happened one night when I woke up and moved my neck and it popped. I had taken a low dose of kava (an herbal muscle relaxant) though I'm not sure it played a significant role. I couldn't move my neck much at all from a strange position for about two days and there was pain. The trapezius on either side has been palpably taught ever since. Decreased ROM still present, most notably <15° right rotation with chin tucked. X-Ray within last week revealed loss of cervical lordotic curve.
Questions: 1. Is it always safe and advisable to attempt to release a protective muscle spasm at the spine? I've seen one or two vague assertions that attempting to release a protective muscle spasm at the spine without knowing the exact cause could potentially be dangerous. 2. Can someone tell me why I shouldn't just apply a topical muscle relaxant to the area? I'm hesitant to guinea pig with my spine. 3. How would any of you go about releasing such a spasm? Who would you refer to? OMT (Osteopathic Manipulative Treatment, as taught by Erik Dalton) is the only I've heard to specifically address the spasm. Any and all ideas and opinions welcome.
Possibly irrelevant: There were already fairly significant muscle imbalances due to less than perfect posture, 100% flat feet, bodybuilding etc. Things have progressed significantly since then including debilitating knee, hip, lumbosacral, shoulder and neck pain. Knee and shoulder pain were present to a lesser degree before the incident. Significant thoracic outlet syndrome present. I am early 20s

Hi and welcome to the Spinal Cord C/D forum.

I am not familiar with the condition you have but know the muscles pulling are the cause of your loss of lordosis ....and that alone can be painful.

Since this is your spine I would not try to take care of it yourself....do see a spine specialist to help you with the release of the spasm.

All of your muscles are out of alignment causing the parade of symptoms up and down  your body....once you find the root cause it may help to eliminate the rest....

Not sure what you meant by bodybuilding etc....do/did you lift weights?
Who has diagnosed your condition and how? Are you sure there is no involvement of the cervical spine?

You are reading content posted in the Spinal Cord Conditions/Disorders Community