Can stress cause short breath?

I've had short breath and chest pain for a month now!!! It's really annoying and won't go away... I'm constantly trying to yawn to get a full breath. I went to the ER weeks ago and they said I was fine so I don't know what to do... I'm 15 so I doubt it's anything bad. Should it really go on this long though?

So is there any way this is stress related? I have been stressed for months now and it just spiraling.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
when you take in a breath, instead of over breathing and trying to take air into your lungs, try taking air into your stomach. if you notice when you breathe, its your stomach that goes in and out. so breathe into your stomach. slow, deep breaths. if at all possible, even breathe into a brown paper bag, like a lunch bag. once you practice breathing techniques, more than likely you'll find that your chest pains may go away. it sounds like to me that your having an anxiety attack or a panic attack and you don't know how to deal with it.  breathe through your stomach.
Helpful - 0
It's really bad today :(

Its making me go insane. Sigh...
Yea ill try and meditate some that seems to help thanks!
Helpful - 0
It might be stress and I know that on set anxiety can cause this too, did you talk to your doctor about controlling anxiety.
Helpful - 0
Anxiety can cause shortness of breath and sometimes even chest pain. The fact that you checked out okay in the ED is reassuring, and your age also makes it unlikely that something bad is going on. Try some relaxation exercises -- yoga, deep breathing, etc. If you don't already do it, exercise can also be really helpful.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Stress Community