Tips for managing extreme stress levels

I've lately been trying to cope with some serious depression issues. I feel that I'm doing a bit better than usual as of late, but I'm still under high levels of stress. There are a number of things in my life that are causing this. It's to the point my hair is noticeably falling out, and even the slightest comment I don't like is enough to anger me to the point of uncontrollably lashing out. This is always followed by immense regret, which only makes things worse. I suffer from somewhat frequent 'nervous breakdowns' (for lack of a better term?), which consist of, without going into detail, a period in which I'm reduced to a hollow of madness, and every second feels like an unbearable eternity. I wake up every morning is a terribly rotten mood, and it doesn't pass until I've been awake for about three hours.

Is there anyone here that can offer me some valuable stress reduction advice? I'm assuming the first two things that are going to be mentioned are: diet and exercise. I feel there are no problems with my diet, I never eat any junk food or processed foods. All I really eat are fruits, vegetables and bread products. I never ingest any animals products, strictly vegetarian. Still, I'm sure it could stand to be improved on some levels. As for exercise, I could certainly be getting more, but I get over 60 minutes of exercise daily. Other than that, I'm quite sedentary. Any advice for me?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
What is your source protein?  Not that there is anything wrong with a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, but a substantial source of protein is beneficial.  Concerning bread.... what kid of bread are you eating, and could you be gluten intolerant?

When push comes to shove, check with your physician.  Have him/her peform a complete physical exam including blood work.  (Can be expensive, but you will get a heck of a lot better picture of your over all health with a blood draw)  

I suffer from a depression disorder as well.  I take a anti-depressant.  I was against it in the beginning but fully understand the benefits of it now. (It doesnt need to be forever)  I also take a multi-vitamin multi-mineral supplement.  I was against that too in the beginning.  I drink a lot of water and get about 1-2 hours of exercise a day.  I lift weights and do cardio every day.

Do a bit of research concerning your diagnosis after being diagnosed.  The internet is a world of information, as you well know, and become better informed will help you make better decisions regarding an exercise/diet program.  Knowledge will help you make better life choices in general.

Do you drink alcohol, and how much?  Drugs???  
Helpful - 0
Music.... do you have an ipod?  Crank up some good tunes while working out.  Music in general, just sitting around listening to some good music helps my mood.
Helpful - 0
"What is your source protein?"
-Peas and cereal, I suppose, would be the biggest sources from which I get protein.

"could you be gluten intolerant?"
-I see this mentioned fairly often, but I'm unsure what it means, or what a gluten is. Perhaps I'll look that up a bit.

"Do you drink alcohol, and how much?  Drugs???"
-Unfortunately, I drink a lot of alcohol. No beer, just high quality liqours. I know this is a bad thing, but I have pretty good control over it for the most part. I can think of dozens of situations where if I didn't have alcohol to fall back on, the outcomes would be considerably worse. Everyone has their vice. (No, I don't use any drugs.)
Helpful - 0
Kellhus,

Good deal on the drug issue.  The drinking thing, I too am a drinker.  WE do know that alcohol does affect our mental health.  Alcohol is a depressant, and when one is already depressed, drinking really doesnt help.  I was in the bar business for 19 years.  Consuming alcohol has never solved a problem.  Never.  It has caused quite a few of them, and the quality of the alcohol isnt the issue.

Look gluten up.  It has been linked to all kinds of problems from digestion to to headaches and some food allergies.

I would suggest you talk with your health care provider.  You may have a mineral deficiency or something.

May I ask why you dont eat meat?  
Helpful - 0
I don't think my diet has anything to do with my stress or depression. I've had the same diet for years. I was hoping for some advice on stress management... but I appreciate your responses nonetheless.
Helpful - 0
Your diet and lack of certain vitamins and or minerals can have a lot to do with addressing your stress.  Have you seen a health care professional concerning your situation?
Helpful - 0
Hi - I am under extreme stress myself and exhibit some of the same symptoms you have described.  I just left my counselor.  She helped me alot...So, PEOPLE, PLACES and THINGS do not cause our stress (is what I am told).  It is the way we REACT to the situations we are faced with.  If we react with rage, frantic behavior...etc...we won't feel good.  We have to DO WHAT WE CAN in any given situation and then go back to OUR life.  We need to focus and DO things that make US happy and everyone basically whenever possible has to WAIT.  So that when we are available for "their" lives and "their" stress we are more level headed.  Remember to seperate your stress from someone elses stress.  Do not take on the world and do not try and FIX everything.   Anything that is happening around us is OUT of our control and is happening for reasons that WE DONT UNDERSTAND and the WE DONT HAVE to figure out.  Try to go along living your life....and when these "things" pop up....you will be better equipped to handle them with a level head.  I will give you an example:  MY oldest is in a big mess..his girl has left, she took the baby, he is a drug addict...I'm always worried he is going to die...so I cater to his every need....Today after therapy...I gave him a call...asked how he was....he didn't sound good...but there isn't anything else I can do.  Normally, I would run over, make sure he ate...make sure he had everything he needed to be comfortable...but I would be an exhausted mess.  So, I called asked him how he was and told him that I would see him tomorrow....when I usually pick him up...I did not ask if he ate, I did not ask if he needed anything, etc.  If he calls and asks me for something and it is not COMFORTABLE for me to do it...if I have to go out of my way, etc.  I have to learn how to say "not now", "NOT TODAY".  There will be times that I will handle his requests...BUT tonight I didn't ask...I'm home resting...on my computer living my life.  I pray that he is still alive when I go to pick him up in the morning and if he isn't...I have to realize that the PLAN is not up to me...I'm doing the best I can....Hope this helps.
Helpful - 0
"PEOPLE, PLACES and THINGS do not cause our stress" -

Thats a very general of a statement that your counselor said.....I think it depends on the person, and the situation.

People, difficult people, can cause stress. Especially if your an introvert. Us introverts need inner ans social peace; One will only understand this if they are introverted them selves. For me as an introvert, working with certain people causes great stress. But if I want to earn a livable wage, I must work with people. I never understood why some people seem to try to be disruptive to others in anywhere in life. These people do nothing positive for mankind, nor do they add to the 'team' work environment - they rip it apart.
Helpful - 0
I have been under a lot of stress my whole adult life for 20 years. I try to live a very simple life - it helps, but is hard to do in modern day society. Exercise helps more if its something you enjoy. So if nature and outdoors is soothing to you, exercising indoors wont be as effective for you - thats what I learned. An affordable hobby helps to , as long as you dont get so wrapped up in it that it also causes stress.

But then you have to identify what is causing the stress. If things or people or our environment did not cause stress, then vacations would not be a stress relief. So if you know what the reason is - that is the next step to deal with, the root of the cause. Dealing with the cause is the tricky part and where others hopefully can give you some possible solutions. If your stuck on what to do - that just makes the stress worse.
Helpful - 0
Kelhus, you sound like me. I have nothing new to add to the discussion as I am also looking for answers, but I really hope you get out of your stress asap because I understand your situation a little too well..
Take care
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Stress Community