When should I start taking progesterone suppositories?

Hi all!
I've had 3 miscarriages very early on. My doctor recommends progesterone suppositories. My question is, should I start taking them after I ovulate or wait until I know I'm pregnant?
Thanks for the feedback!
Rulle
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I just had IUI done on 5/16 and my dr had me take them that night.........
Helpful - 0
i had to take the pill not suppositories, but it wasnt until it was verified that i was pregnant. i would ask your doctor
good luck
shari
Helpful - 0
My dr asked me to take the supplement 2 days after ovulation. So you have to use an ovulation kit to help you pinpoint the time frame of your ovulation and start the treatment 2 days from there. Hope it works for you.

May I ask whether your dr found any particular reason why you m/c 3 times? I also have had multiple m/c, 5. I tried progesterone supplement for the last one, it did not help me.
Helpful - 0
So far no explanation as to why I've miscarried x 3. My HSG was normal, blood work normal, and chromosomal analysis of my husband and I were normal. I am 36 however.... How about you?

In terms of the progesterone I know there are different thoughts on the topic...my doctor said to take it when I determined I was pregnant...but to me that seems like two essential weeks missing out on the benefits of progesterone...but on the flip side, if I'm not pregnant will it affect my next cycle???

Very confusing stuff.
Helpful - 0
I am in the same boat with a few of you.  I've also had three m/c and started progesterone on the third one after I found out I was pregnant.  Unfortunatley it did not help and my prog. just kept going down until I miscarried.  My fert. doctor also told me to start taking it when I ovulate.  I'm trying it this month and am hoping it will help if I am pregnant.  It's very frustrating and I wish you luck!
Helpful - 0
I have also had 3 early miscarriages and no reason can be found.  All my tests came back normal, including genetic testing of both my husband and I.  The advice the specialist gave me after all the testing was "there's nothing wrong with you, just keep trying."    I just got a faint positive test result yesterday so here we go for try #4.  I am using progesterone suppositories as well, and my doctor advised to start them as soon as you know you've ovulated.  Good luck to you, there are a few of us here who know how absolutely devastating it is to suffer multiple unexplained miscarriages.  Do you have any children?
Helpful - 0
after you ovulate is optimum... only problem with that is that it can delay the start of your period even if you aren't pg so it can sometimes get your hopes up...
Helpful - 0
Stacie30 is right, I have also read that progesterone can delay the start of your period if you're not pregnant, which could potentially give false hopes.  Another side effect I'm noticing .....it makes your boobs bigger.  Which in my case at least, is a good side effect!    ;o)
Helpful - 0
To answer your questions:
I
Helpful - 0
Noticed your email thread.  I've been wondering the same thing myself and wondered what conclusion you came to.  I've had two miscarriages a chemical pregnancy and they can find no good reason for these (all tests normal). I am again wondering if I am pregnant, but I know a test wont tell me yet (am exhuasted, have nausea, and just feel like I am).  Seems there is no harm in taking the progesterone now, but tried it late last misscarriage and did have side effects like odd dreams.  I guess the real question is is there a medical reason to take it before you can test for pregnancy?

Reports like the following seem to suggest i would help right after ovulation:
About a day and a half before ovulation occurs, your estrogen levels will climax, causing the pituitary to release a surge of LH. Once the follicle releases the egg, the follicle itself shrinks and gathers fatty substances known as lipids. This then becomes the corpus luteum, which is responsible for the production of progesterone. As progesterone levels in your body increase, the endometrium begins to prepare itself for implantation by a fertilized egg.

My doctor says to take it when I know I am pregnant by testing but seems to me it could help sooner....  I may forever remain confused!
Helpful - 0
I too have had mutiple m/c (4 in 2 years)  My blood work came back normal as well as chromosome studies.  After my OB attended a seminar on homocystiene/MTHFR gene she had me tested.  I have the double mutation of the MTHFR gene which is causing my repeated m/c.  The treatment is high dose (5 mg) folic acid with B12 and B6 supplementation.  

Have your docs do a MTHFR test to see if this may be an issue for you all! I too have been prescribed progesterone suppositories to take as well.  I was told to take it from ovulation on.  Then stop if no pos HPT.

Hope this helps ladies!  I have found a light at the end of my dark tunnel.  We tried this month after a year after my last M/C and I have been taking the supplements for 4 months....so we will pray!!!
Helpful - 0
I have had 4 m/c and have went through 3 years of fertility testing and only last month did we find the problem!  I have severe luteal phase defect where the lining of my uterus showed I was on day 19 of my 30 day cycle when I was actually on day 28 of my cycle.  My doctor gave me clomid and 1000 mg of progesterone that I take twice daily.  I did not start taking the progesterone until 3 day after ovulation.  I would think if you need the progesterone to support the pregnancy you should take it before you get pregnant.  3 of my miscarriages were because I was hormone deficient and the lining of my uterus could not support a pregnancy.  I will find out tuesday if I am pregnant and I will have another biopsy wednesday to see if the progesterone is working.  The dr told us to try even though we don't know if the progesterone is working so I am kinda nervous about that.  

Well GOOD LUCK to you all.  We will all hopefully get our babies one way or another.
Helpful - 0
I had one live birth in 2001.  Then two years later had 2
mscarriages I uable to conceive because I stopped getting my period. My doctor put me on clomid and progesterone pills.  That was in May.  I am now 10 weeks pregnant and taking daily 50mg of proges. but only for six weeks and the doctor said my own hormones will kick in by then.  My worry is my hormones have been so messed up for the past 8 months will they really kick in or will I be setting my self up for a miscarriage if I stop after six weeks.  I will talk to my doctor at my next visit and see what happens.  I has been a long road to trying to get pregnant and stay pregnant so I am going to try everything in my power to have the baby to term.
Helpful - 0
My name is Holly. I am 20 years old. I am planning on going off the pill (i have been on it for 3 years now) in November. I hope to get pregnant right away so I can give the news to my in-laws and my parents as an xmas gift. Do people usually have problems conceiving the first few months they go off the pill? How does it work? I also want to lose weight before I have a baby. As it is I am not comfortable in my skin. If anyone has suggestions or would like to chat, please email me at butterfly_baybee2005***@**** I will respond to everyone!
Also, will you only conceive on certain days of the month? I can use as much information as I can
Helpful - 0
I AM NOW 32 YEARS OLD.  I HAVE TWO BEAUTIFUL BOYS 11 & 5, BUT IT HAS BEEN A VERY HARD, FRUSTRATING, AND EMOTIONAL ROLLER COASTER THROUGHOUT.  I CONCEIVED MY FIRST SON 3 MONTHS AFTER I GOT MARRIED, NOT ONE SINGLE PROBLEM WHATSOEVER, OTHER THAN THE NORMAL MORNING SICKNESS.  HE WAS BORN 9-7-96 AT 9 HEALTHY POUNDS.  WHEN HE WAS 4, WE TTC AGAIN, AND I HAD M/C AT 10 WEEKS.  THREE MONTHS LATER, I GOT PREGNANT AGAIN, ONCE AGAIN M/C AT 10 WEEKS.  DOCS DIDN'T WANT TO DO ANY TESTING, STATING IT WAS JUST A NORMAL PHASE IN LIFE.  WHATEVER,  I SAID.  I WORK AS A NURSE, SO I HAD SOME SENSE ABOUT THE SITUATION.  TOOK IT UPON MYSELF TO GET HELP ELSEWHERE.  GENETIC TESTING BETWEEN US BOTH CAME BACK PERFECTLY NORMAL (SO WE THOUGHT).  ANYWAY, SAW A FERTILITY DOC, HE DID THE UTERINE BIOPSY, AND DX WITH LUTEAL PHASE DEFECT.  STARTED TAKING ORAL PROGESTERONE FOR ABOUT THREE MONTHS, THEN ADDED CLOMID IN ON TOP OF THAT, GOT PREGNANT AGAIN, AND HAD ANOTHER BEAUTIFUL 8LB12OZ BOY.  ALL WENT WELL.  ONCE AGAIN, WHEN HE WAS 4, WE DECIDED TO LET NATURE TAKE IT'S COURSE, AND TRY AGAIN.  PREGNANT AGAIN.  DID NOT TAKE ORAL PROG. OR SUPP., JUST USED PROG CREAM.  THINGS PROGRESSED WELL, ASIDE FROM THE FACT I HAD A HUGE FIBROID TUMOR, AND THEN AT 18 WEEKS, HIS CORD TWISTED OFF DUE TO THE LACK OF WHARTON'S JELLY, AND HE PASSED AWAY.  IT WAS DEVASTATING TO MAKE IT THAT FAR, KNOWING THAT THIS WAS PROBABLY THE LAST TIME I WOULD EVER GET THE CHANCE TO HAVE ANOTHER BABY.  IT WAS THE HARDEST THING I HAVE EVER ENDURED YET.  DEVASTATED IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT, BUT WE HAVE DEALT WITH THE SITUATION WELL.  OUR BOYS KEEP US STRONG.  WELL, BACK IN DEC., I HAD ANOTHER EARLY M/C AT 8 WEEKS.  ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, BUT I STILL WANT ANOTHER BABY SOO BAD.  SAW A PERINATOLOGIST, I HAVE THE MUTATION GENE (INCREASED RISK OF CLOTTING).  STRANGELY ENOUGH, I WAS BORN WITH THIS, BUT JUST NOW FINDING OUT ABOUT IT.  I NOW TAKE A BABY ASA DAILY, AND IF I WERE TO BECOME PREGNANT AGAIN (YESTERDAY WAS POSITIVE OVULATION DAY, AND MY HUSBAND WAS COMPLIANT ) WE'LL SEE.  I HAVE PROGESTERONE SUPPOSITORIES IN THE FRIDGE TO USE AS WELL.  MY DOC SAID TO START THEM TWO DAYS AFTER POSITIVE OVULATION.  MY ONLY THING IS , NO ONE SPECIFIED ON HOW OFTEN, EITHER DAILY OR TWICE DAILY.  I'LL HAVE TO CALL MONDAY TO FIND OUT.  
GOOD LUCK IN YOUR ENDEAVOR.  STAY POSITIVE AND HAVE FAITH.

DDD123
Helpful - 0
Have you and your husband been tested for chromosonal abnormalities.  I have had two miscarriages and just got chromosome test back that stated that my husband had a reciprocal balanced translocation between chromosomes 11 and 22.  It is a very serious diagnosis if you are trying for children.  This problem causes miscarriages and we are being told that we have very significant chances of having a child with physical and/or mental abnormalities if, by chance, we actually carry a baby to full term.  This is devistating news but, if you have not been tested then you may want to get tested just to make sure.  Good Luck with everything...

Amy
Helpful - 0
i have had 3 miscarriges, 2 of those have been blighted ovums, i just found out im 2weeks pregnant, im so scared, i have 2 boys now, 2 and 8, i had the miscarriges all last year; my docter has put me on 100mg of progesterone suppositories twice a day, my levels are good right now. but with a blighted ovun, your hcg will double like its sappose too, the only thing i can do is wait for my 6week ultrasound to see if there's a heartbeat,  what are my odds that i will have another blighted ovum, please pray for me,     Love in Christ,     Krissy
Helpful - 0
Hello everyone, my name is Mariam, i am 22 years old, i have been married for 3 1/2 years and 2 months ago i had my fourth miscarriage..my miscarriages happen around week 6 or 7..my last one was at 5 weeks..i have been taking clomid pills, and pergonal injections and now my doctor says that after ovulation he will start me on progesterone supporiorities..i am pretty nervous. ive read many posts here and realized that for some woman progesterone does nothing...hope anyone can shed some light..thanks
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
I am 32 and have had one 'confirmed' m/c at 5 weeks, but I am sure I've had two other m/c (one week late HEAVY periods w/clotting and pain), but since I didn't test for pregnancy, it is not 'confirmed.' All tests (HCG, blood work, my husband's sperm) were normal. Progesterone was only slightly low. My OBGYN has ordered progesterone suppositories for me and told me to just start taking them. I will call her back to confirm this, but has anyone else just been told to take them randomly?
Is it that important to take them 'X' days following ovulation?  
Also, we use FAM to predict ovulation. Has anyone else used this method and compared it to the ovulation kits?  Which is more precise?

Thanks. It's reassuring to know that there are forums to turn to and to hear other people's stories.
-babylessinseattle
Helpful - 0
I was put on progesterone because of my repeat m/c (x3).  Because I live in a small community, the progesterone had to be ordered.  Therefor, I am on day 18 and wondering if I should start the progesterone or wait for a confirmed pregnancy.  

Thanx
Helpful - 0
My progeesterone level, at last take, was 7.9, my dr told me it needs to be at 15 to conceive.  She is telling me I need to take it  just so I CAN get pregnant.  My husband and I have been trying to get pg for 20 months. I am debating between progesterone creams, or the suppositories.  
Helpful - 0
I am now 5 1/2 weeks pregnant.  I am 29 years old and had two m/c.  My first was in Feb 05 due to a horrible divorce and not knowing I was pregnant, got back on b/c and lost it.  The second one was at 8 weeks w/ my DH... totally unexpected and after the D&C was tested for all sorts of test and tested positive for the heterozygous MTHFR C766T gene mutation.  I am on double folic acid, baby asprin and prenatals.  Once I conceived, 4 months after D&C, I was not getting good news.  My HCG levels were not doubling like they were supposed but my progesterone was good.  I was pretty much convinced I was losing it again.  I was going for last blood test to confirm what I thought I knew only to find out my HCG levels had doubled but now my progesterone was way down.(3.5)  My doctor started me on 200mg progesterone suppositories twice a day and i took my first one today.  I have a good feeling that this will help me. I go tomorrow for more lab work and we'll see what's going on.  I am sorry for all of your losses and I wish you all the best of luck in your future conceptions.  This is the craziest emotional roller coaster I have EVER been on but I'm keeping my fingers crossed and praying that in 8 months...it will all be worth it.
Helpful - 0
Hi there. I am not sure what the progesterone suppositories are. But I  know exactly what the progesterone cream is. I know a lot of wonderful women who think it is the best thing ever! My aunt is one of them. She misscarried 4 times and her doctor actually told her she would never be able to carry a baby. She ordered some prgesterone cream from off the internet, Not sure if I can give out website names or not. And she used it through her whole pregnancy and she never misscarried again. Its also great for woman who are tring to get pregnant and just can't. I used it for about 2 weeks and we are now expecting our little boy to be here on sep 19th! Hope everything works out for you!
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the TTC after Miscarriages Community

Many couples are turning to acupuncture to treat infertility. But does it work? We take a closer look.
Does exercise really lower fertility? We take a look at 8 common myths about fertility.
Your guide to safely exercising throughout your 40 weeks.
Learn which foods aren't safe to eat when you're eating for two.
Is your biological clock sounding the alarm? Dr. Elaine Brown explains new advances in egg freezing.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.