Usually we do the FNA and then decide on surgery unless the nodule/goiter is large and causing symptoms in which case FNA is done to help plan the extent of surgery.
No, not to me. I mean if your sister has had thyroid cancer then I see why they would want to remove it but if Fnab comes back benign then I would think that you should have the ultimate choice.
Sounds like you're being railroaded. Unless your thyroid is causing compression symptoms I'd get a second opinion.
A 14mm X 4.5mm nodule is 'small'
Thanks :) I think I may cancel the preop appointment since it is a two hour drive and just have them do the FNA and decide from there.
Thanks :) I am going to cancel the preop appointment and wait for the result of the FNAB to decide. My sister had a bad experience. She had an in office biopsy that was negative and continued for years with a cough and swollen lymph nodes. They kept saying she had bronchitis. It turned out to be full blown thyroid cancer, wrapped around her vocal cords and her lymph nodes were involved. I think my PCP, who is also her new PCP, is nervous and sent the removal request. However, I trust the new FNAB technology and will wait and see.