Calcified cervical lymph node

Could a calcified cervical lymph node be a sign of thyroid cancer? I have heard that calcified cervical nodes are rare. I have had intermittent pain in or around the ear or in the neck below the ear or in the temple. I have no ear infection but I have chronic tonsillitis. A doctor said that the calcified lymph node is caused by some infection. My thyroid gland has shrunk to very small with small cysts. One of the cysts was nearly 3 cm at its largest, and then it began to shrink. Does the ear pain result from some problem in the thyroid? I am using Thyroid Erfa. I have a 9 mm tumor in my lung. It has not grown in size within a few years. I have had ACE and lysozyme above normal a couple of years ago. I have hypercalcemia due to hyperparathyroidism.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi!
Usually lymph nodes get calcified during healing from an infection. They are rarely cancerous. Also high calcium levels can increase the risk for calcification, especially in a setting of infection/inflammation. Since you have a lung nodule too, it is important to rule out tuberculosis. Thyroid cysts are usually degenerative adenomas (benign). Rarely these are cancerous. However, since the thyroid gland has become small, it can cause hypothyroidism. To rule out cancer, you can also ask for PET scan. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your answer. I have chronic infection in my tonsils. I had a 30 day antibiotic (Doximed) for the tonsillitis. Maybe the node calcification is caused by the antibiotic (as a healing process). Now, about a week has gone without the antibiotic, and I have again got some ear pain intermittently, particularly in the mornings. During the antibiotic the pain almost subsided.The tonsils are not sore. I see a few whitish nodules in the tonsils. They appeared during the last week of the antibiotic. Is this a good sign, does it mean that the tonsils are again working properly? But why do I again have some ear pain (no ear infection).

I  know that high ACE and lysozyme may be caused by a granulomatotic infection. I think that my chronic tonsillitis (and also chronic sinusitis) is the granulomatotic disease (may be since 1990's). Now, the enzymes have returned to normal. It is possible that I may have had sarcoidosis sometimes in my life - and the enzymes are decreasing now. Tuberculosis has also been discussed on, but I have not got any tests.

I have had pain in my joints intermittently during several years. I am HLA-B27 positive. Just now I have problems in my right knee. Maybe it is reactive arthritis.

A couple of years ago a sestamibi technetium scan was done for my parathyroids. There may be hyperplasia in my right lower parathyroid. The left salivary glands were somewhat hidden, because my head turned to the left during the scanning (due to muscular dystonia or irritation of the muscles  by some throat infection) . Thus the area of my left lymph nodes and sinus carotis could not be seen. The sinus carotis has recently been prominent. It, or a lymph node, has been seen as a bulge to the utside. The bulge is not so prominent any longer - the lymph node has probably shrunk to smaller during the antibiotic. In an ultrasound there was a 6-mm calcified node (it was probably a lymph node) in front of the lower part of the carotid sinus.

Why do I still have some ear pain, although I had a long antibiotic? I have had it now and then since March.
Helpful - 0
I have had several antibiotics. Now the antibiotics do not work for my ear -around pain any longer. Yesterday the use of Doximed was stopped. My cervical dystonia has even become worse. My neck muscles are very sore and weak. Yesterday I found lumps in the muscles. My outer ear is also sore early in the mornings. I have had pain in several other joints and muscles.

Yesterday an ENT doctor recommended that I should next go to see a rheumatologist. I could have some rheumatic disease in my temporomandibular joint and elsewhere.

My TNF alpha is above the reference. I am having small and pale red cells. The tuberculosis test was negative. The Elispot blood tests done in Germany showed an indication of possible Lyme disease. I don't know what to think of the result. Here the doctors think that the German Borrelia tests are too accurate.

In any case, I have had intermittent pain around my left ear for a year.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer Community

We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.