Weight gain after thyroid removal

My wife is going to have her thyroid removed  she is hyperthyroid and has lost ninety pounds over the last 5 months she is worried that she will have a large weight gain after surgery. Can this happen
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I had mine out......  I'm a guy.  I put on 7 pounds total but then 30 days later lost it when I got through the initital "jolt".  I'm stable at my pre surgery weight.
Helpful - 0
and thank you for answering my question.
Helpful - 0
If you don't mind me asking how much weight did you gain after the surgery. personally I don't care how much she gains but I would like to be prepared for her reaction to it.
Helpful - 0
Yes, it can happen, but doesn't have to. I got back down to my pre-surgery weight in about 1 year by walking every day and eating right. Since then I have gained 10 pounds, mostly after the doc reduced my dose. Even after 3 years, I still am not on the optimal dose, so it does take time, however, I have only gained those 10 pounds, not a whole lot.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer Community

We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.