thyroid cancer

Just had my thyroid removed and was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer.  I am currently waiting for a RAI scan.  Any advice.  I am a bit nervous about this so HELP please
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hello to all!  I had my TT on the 31st of December due to Graves and Toxic Multinodular Goiter.  I received my path report a few days ago.  The right side of thyroid was only enlarged but the left side contained a 3cm lesion diagnosed as Follicular variant of papillary carcenoma and another .2cm lession diagnosed as classic papillary carcinoma.  I am now waiting to see the oncologist and have a PET scan done.  I have tried to do some research on this but I feel like I end up going in a circle everytime I read an article.
Helpful - 0
Folks I was off my meds for almost a month and I got thru that pretty well...So keep your chin up and just keep pushing thru...Sounds like you are doing great.   : )
Helpful - 0
Just finished day two of the low iodine diet...so far not too bad.  did buy a bread machine though.  Guess we will get throught this.
Jenny
Helpful - 0
I wanted to check in to report that I am now in my 5th day of the low iodine diet and have not found it to be too much of a problem.  My husband is doing it with me, so that helps greatly.  I have cooked (and frozen) many of the dishes from the cookbook and have plenty to eat.  I also need to report that even after being off my thyroid meds for 6 days, I am still feeling pretty well.  I have been dreading some of the symptoms of being "hopo", but Praise the Lord...so far...so good. I KNOW I will get through the next days of the diet, and even though I don't look forward to the days that will follow the radiation treatment, I look forward to getting it all behind me.

I appreciate all the support I have received from this site and hopefully I will be able to help someone else today and in the future.  
Helpful - 0
Good news about the lymph nodes.
You are on your way now. Congrats I will keep the prayers coming.

Fuel
Helpful - 0
I am 3 days post-op for a TT.  The pathology was inconclusive of the left side of my thyroid where the largest goiter was, so now I am waiting the two weeks to get my results.  The doc said there were "sticky" areas, where there was blood, and he said it's either cancer or residual bleeding from my FNA that was done in October.  (He also removed a few lymphnodes that appear to be clear.)  I have been trying to get educated on the RAI, so thank you, thank you, thank you for all of the info you guys have posted!
Helpful - 0
PS, you should drink a lot of water and suck on sour candy the first day or two, that will flush out the toxins better.  You will also probably lose your sense of taste for about a month.  My tongue peeled, I think, and I did lose the sense of taste, but it came back about a month later.
Helpful - 0
You're welcome, and I stress while you still feel good, make some chili, some black bean soup, some bread rolls, get them in individual bags in the freezer, it will make your two or three weeks easier.  If you have a bread machine, get a couple loaves made (no sea salt, only regular salt), sliced and in the freezer, you can take out a peice at a time.  Another thing that helped me get through was a product called EmergenC...you can find a generic version, too.  It has lots of B vitamins and is a good energy booster when you are tired.  I also had a lot of iced tea on hand, gave me a bit of caffeine to get through the day.  God bless, good luck!  Thyca is a great resource.
Helpful - 0
THANK YOU for your post.  I found the recipes on Thyca wedsite and feel much better about the whole process.  YES, I am thankful that my cancer is treatable...When I look around to see what so many other people are going through... I feel VERY blessed.  I'm anxious to update everyone with my good reports after I get through the next few weeks.  Thank you again and may God Bless You All in the New Year.
Helpful - 0
Great post...good info.
Helpful - 0
Welcome to the thyroid cancer club...I had two surgeries, four nodules, five foci of cancer, the biggest was 1.5 cm.  RAI was a piece of cake, but the 7 weeks I had to wait before it were hell, especially the last two or three weeks.  The low iodine diet is not that hard, just avoid sea salt, fish and anything that comes from the sea, sea weed (NO SUSHI...bummer!)  Also watch the labels, lots of stuff that says "all natural" has sea salt instead of regular salt...regular non-iodized salt has no Iodine...NaCl.  Also remember that it is a LOW iodine diet, not a no iodine diet.  I survived on small amounts of chicken breast, small hamburgers, hash browns from peeled potatoes, green veggies, carrots, stuff like that.  I also made oatmeal with brown sugar and cinnamon, eggs, I sometimes made my own bread, made it in bun shapes for hamburgers or chicken burgers.  It was not fun, but it is manageable.  Have you been to the Thyca.org website?  They have great advice, and great recipes.  I made some of the soups and froze them in individual portions when I still felt good, that helped.  Also made chili, that was great over a baked potato (no skin).  It is only a short time, you will feel so much better the day you get to take your synthroid.  Body scan was uneventful.  Avoiding others while you are radiating is a mild annoyance, I am lucky my family went on vacation while I radiated...good luck!    Remember, Thyroid cancer is one of the easiest to cure, almost 100% cure rate, so count yourself lucky!
Helpful - 0
I am new to this site, but found myself here because I am facing the I 131 treatment on the 21st after having a total thyroidectomy and being diagnosed with thyroid cancer.  I appreciate your post from Dec. 28th, it was very encouraging.  I understand this is a very treatable cancer and for that I am very thankful, but I am concerned about the low Idodine diet that I will begin next week.  I need information about a on line cookbook and would appreciate any recipes or tips.  Thank you.
Helpful - 0
I was told basically to not eat any fish or anything high in salt for the couple of weeks before RAI...It was really strange for me as folks out here gave me more info about being on low iodine than the dr's did....they weren't really terribly concerned about it...according to them a lot of the salt used today is not iodized salt.  So I would ask the people out here about that...they will give you better answers than I can....

About the glowing...my husband would tell everyone that I was glowing, even in the dark...  I didn't....I checked...  : )

I know this is really scary.  Stay positive...this is really very treatable...I'm 9 months out from thyroidectomy.  It was Mar when I had surgery and it was October before my med levels got right.  So you will definitely go thru some adjustments, but it does get better.  For me now the time has come to really start building back up...It took a bit more out of me than I was prepared for...I was always overweight, but basically strong and healthy...city girl turned country girl...It was nothing for me to haul a 50 lb bag over my shoulders and go...One day at work, about 2 months ago, I tried to pick up a 50 lb bag...It was really a sad sight...I couldn't even up end the silly thing....So off to the gym for me....Time to hit the weights.  : )

Just take every day with how you feel...If you feel better do more...if you feel awful...curl up with a good book and a blanky...I'd get really cold for the first few months...I like my blanky...  : )  : P
Helpful - 0
The place that I am having the RAI just pushed me back a week.  Oh well another week to worry.  I know I will get through it.  Thanks,
Helpful - 0
The worst is over for you Jen.....RAI will be done and yes you will ache for a while with having to be hypo for RAI but you know what?
You will get through it with flying colors and will be fine.
Hugs xxx
Helpful - 0
Ok so I expecting to glow.  I guess I won't then.  How did you manage the low iodine diet.  Was it as bad as it sounds? Any advice?
Helpful - 0
I went thru RAI in April...I seriously kept picturing myself with a mushroom cloud rising out of my head as I walked around...One lady here even said she thought she would have green gue coming out of her ears and I was concerned that plants would die as I walked by....It didn't happen....I could have made some great cartoons if I'd been an artist, but the truth is, I was fine...It's a bit of a trial to go thru...but you will come thru it.
Helpful - 0
thanks so much for your posts.  Am really having a hard time.  So any advice, comments,,,anything is welcome.
Helpful - 0
thanks so much....hugs are always welcome
Helpful - 0
I'm a newbie hear so have no advice but wanted to offer a virtual hug in support.
Helpful - 0
Welcome Jen..........please don't worry  about the scan. I've had a total thyroidectomy followed by a whole body scan I-131.  The radio active iodine will leave your body within a few days. They will ask you to stay away from small children, and no intimate contact with anyone and no kissing. Can't share cups or utentsils. This will only be for a few days. They will tell you what you need to know in advance.  I am taking 150 mcg. of synthroid. You'll soon learn all about your TSH, T3, T4 and all that good stuff that is found in your blood test,. You''ll have your bad days with having no energy, very tired but yet unable to sleep, just to name a few. My meds have been juggled for the past 4 yrs;, now starting to taper off a bit where I'm feeling a little bit better. It takes time but you will learn to cope. There will be plenty of help out there for you. I have found more help here, than anywhere else. Just nice to talk to people who are going through the same thing.  We are here for you and wll share our experiences with you. I was scared with the whole cancer thing, but I was able to work through it with the help of my medhelp friends that also have had thyroid cancer. Keep thinking positive things and don't let the cancer control every minute of life. I'll be here for you if you need me. Us thycan people are tough and we all stick together.
Helpful - 0
Hi Jen,

I can relate to this, as I just had a partial thyroidectomy 4 months ago. Few things to think of.
First, you are always welcome to ask any questions anytime here. These are all great people and support group.

Second cancer is a scary word, but you are bigger than it, and you will conquer it. Have confidence, faith also doesn't hurt. It has a low mortality rate, and you will be fine.

Now for a little reality please don't be scared you will be fine. I have not been through the RAI, so I don't know what that will be like. My surgeon said my 6mm nodule was localized to my left lobe and that my right lobe looked good, so he decided to keep it.
After RAI you will be put on a T4(Synthroid, Levothyroxin, etc) There are also alternatives like (Armour, Nature Thyroid, etc T4/T3 combos) I would read up on these and also basic thyroid levels (TSH, FT3, FT4) Also, a doctor that knows how to treat and looks at symptoms more than data. It may take quite sometime getting your levels good and for you to feel better, since you will definitely go Hypothyroid with no Thyroid.

These are just the basics. It is best to educate yourself and nothing against doctors, but they are all not experienced enough with this due to most Western Med teachings. TSH is not a standard to feeling better!

Anyway, don't want to preach, I am fairly new to this too (4months since surgery) these are just some things that I think will come in handy for you to get to a fast recovery.

Helpful - 0
If you had your thyroid removed, this means you are cancer free, right? I wish you the best. I am due to hear results on a recent FNA. Welcome, i just joined myself 2 minutes ago.
Helpful - 0
Thanks,  Still in the shock phase, I guess...
Helpful - 0
2

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer Community

We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.