thyroid cancer

Just had my thyroid removed and was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer.  I am currently waiting for a RAI scan.  Any advice.  I am a bit nervous about this so HELP please
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
PS, you should drink a lot of water and suck on sour candy the first day or two, that will flush out the toxins better.  You will also probably lose your sense of taste for about a month.  My tongue peeled, I think, and I did lose the sense of taste, but it came back about a month later.
Helpful - 0
You're welcome, and I stress while you still feel good, make some chili, some black bean soup, some bread rolls, get them in individual bags in the freezer, it will make your two or three weeks easier.  If you have a bread machine, get a couple loaves made (no sea salt, only regular salt), sliced and in the freezer, you can take out a peice at a time.  Another thing that helped me get through was a product called EmergenC...you can find a generic version, too.  It has lots of B vitamins and is a good energy booster when you are tired.  I also had a lot of iced tea on hand, gave me a bit of caffeine to get through the day.  God bless, good luck!  Thyca is a great resource.
Helpful - 0
THANK YOU for your post.  I found the recipes on Thyca wedsite and feel much better about the whole process.  YES, I am thankful that my cancer is treatable...When I look around to see what so many other people are going through... I feel VERY blessed.  I'm anxious to update everyone with my good reports after I get through the next few weeks.  Thank you again and may God Bless You All in the New Year.
Helpful - 0
Great post...good info.
Helpful - 0
Welcome to the thyroid cancer club...I had two surgeries, four nodules, five foci of cancer, the biggest was 1.5 cm.  RAI was a piece of cake, but the 7 weeks I had to wait before it were hell, especially the last two or three weeks.  The low iodine diet is not that hard, just avoid sea salt, fish and anything that comes from the sea, sea weed (NO SUSHI...bummer!)  Also watch the labels, lots of stuff that says "all natural" has sea salt instead of regular salt...regular non-iodized salt has no Iodine...NaCl.  Also remember that it is a LOW iodine diet, not a no iodine diet.  I survived on small amounts of chicken breast, small hamburgers, hash browns from peeled potatoes, green veggies, carrots, stuff like that.  I also made oatmeal with brown sugar and cinnamon, eggs, I sometimes made my own bread, made it in bun shapes for hamburgers or chicken burgers.  It was not fun, but it is manageable.  Have you been to the Thyca.org website?  They have great advice, and great recipes.  I made some of the soups and froze them in individual portions when I still felt good, that helped.  Also made chili, that was great over a baked potato (no skin).  It is only a short time, you will feel so much better the day you get to take your synthroid.  Body scan was uneventful.  Avoiding others while you are radiating is a mild annoyance, I am lucky my family went on vacation while I radiated...good luck!    Remember, Thyroid cancer is one of the easiest to cure, almost 100% cure rate, so count yourself lucky!
Helpful - 0
I am new to this site, but found myself here because I am facing the I 131 treatment on the 21st after having a total thyroidectomy and being diagnosed with thyroid cancer.  I appreciate your post from Dec. 28th, it was very encouraging.  I understand this is a very treatable cancer and for that I am very thankful, but I am concerned about the low Idodine diet that I will begin next week.  I need information about a on line cookbook and would appreciate any recipes or tips.  Thank you.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Cancer Community

We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.