Subacute Thyroiditis and chronic low grade fever

Excuse me for the long story but I need to know If thyroiditis is to be blamed for all my symptoms.I am 35 years old female with no health problems until last April.In the beginning of April,I suffered from severe upper respiratory infection for which I did not take any treatment as I thought it would resolve itself.It had already gone away after a short period.In the middle of April,I experienced low grade fever,high blood pressure,heart palpitations,tingling and numbness of my feet.My doctor did not know the cause of my symptoms,thinking it is from a virus and gave me some antibiotics and medications to decrease my pressure.He thought that numbness is due to  B12 deficiency so he gave me the vitamin.I felt no relief.Although my blood pressure and heart palpitations much improved,I was still suffering from the fever,and beginning to experience severe chills,and excessive night sweating.The numbness started  to affect my hand fingers too. I went to another doctor who ran CBC which was normal and ESR test which was high.The doctor also thought it is a long lasting virus that will resolve itself soon and gave me NSAIDs which did nothing to my fever or other symptoms.

In July,I begin to experience severe neck pain,burning sensation in all of my muscles,severe fatigue.I slept 16 hours in the day.I went to an Endo who asked for thyroid  panel and ultrasound on my neck.The thyroid  panel revealed that I had subclinical hypo as my TSH was 13 with normal free T3 and free T4. The ultrasound revealed that the two lobes of my thyroid are enlarged.My thyroid anti bodies came back negative.Therefore,I was diagnosed with subcute Thyroiditis.

My Endo was surprised as he said that fever is expected to happen in the hyperthyroid phase of  subcute Thyroiditis. However,In my case the fever persisted in hypothyroid phase.He gave me thyroxine 50 for my hypothyroidism and prednisone a dose of 50 for 5 days only.

My fever eventually went away by prednisone. For near a month, I became fine with some symptoms that comes and goes.In the beginning of August,My fever returned as well as my neck pain.My thyroid appear in my neck so any body can see it.I experience severe burning muscles especially in my knees.I suffered also from burning legs .I went to my Endo who ran a thyroid panel which comes back normal.Therefore,he did not increase my dose of thyroxine. He repeated  prednisone for two months this time  with tapering schedule.I started with 40 mg or two weeks,then 30 for a week,then 20 for a week,then 10 for a week,then 5 for two weeks.Then 2.5 for two weeks.Then stopped.The low grade fever went a way after restarting prednisone. My other symptoms also improved.I experience no problem while tapering prednisone until I reach 5 mg.The low grade fever as well as my neck pain started to return.I can not touch my neck as it will be very painful.My questions are:

- Is it normal with  Subacute Thyroiditis to suffer from  the fever in the hyper and hypo phase as my Endo says it is not normal as the fever should subside in the hypo phase.
- My fever does not respond to any medication except corticosteroid and I do not want to take it any more because of its serious side effects.Are there any natural ways to treat the fever or the subcute Thyroiditis ?
- Although I take Thyroxine 50 daily and my TSH,FT3,FT4 are in normal range,I still have hypo symptoms ( numbness and tingling of the extremities,burning muscles,etc...).Should I increase the dose?

Thank you all for your support.

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community