Avatar universal

Should I get second opinion?

Hi, I was wondering if I should get a second opinion on my results or if anyone
out there has had a similar experience.

First, my mom had thyroid cancer at 35. She had a multinodular goiter with
normal levels. No biopsies, just removal of the lobe with the largest nodule
(papillary/follocular mix.) A year later she had the other side removed
(although smaller nodule is was medullary.)

I'm 33, have a multinodular goiter with normal thyroid levels, normal calcitonin
levels and no tumor markers. I had a FNA 2 weeks ago. Here are the results:

-Size of thyroid: right lobe 6.4 x 2.7 x 1.7, left: 5.8 x 2.2 x 1.4

-Largest nodule: 2.6 x .9 x 1.9 cm with report:
"The scant specimen contains four groups of benign appearing follicular cells
more than 10 cells each. Interpretation therefore is limited by scant
cellularity. Rare fragment of colloid is also noted. No insignificant nuclear
atypia, nuclear grooves, or intranuclear inclusion is identified."

-nodule:7 x 5 x 7 mm was undiagnostic but was right on the corotid artery and
due to its small size, was hard to reach.

-nodule: 7 x 7 x 7 mm biopsy contained 10-15 groups of follicular cells and
findings were consistent with an adenomatoid nodule.

The endo has recommend follow up in 6 months for another ultrasound to monitor

My questions are these:
-Should I be concerned about the scant specimen of only 4 cell groups on the
biggest nodule?
-Should I get a second opinion on these results?
-Is the large size of the goiter with multiple nodules a good enough reason for
surgery even though it is benign? Its frustrating that since my levels are right
in the middle, that there isn't anything that can be done to shrink them.

I'm a little concerned considering the family history of thyroid cancer, so I
want to make sure that we are being smart about what we find.

Any advice/similar experience would be helpful. Thank you!
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
I had a solid, 3cm hypoechoic vascular, suspicious for follicular neoplasm (microfollicular)
nodule removed on the 8th of September. Frozen section was done in OR and it was "benign" on final histology it came back follicular variant papillary carcinoma also. My Dr. then sent the slides to Italy to be read by someone there. I am now waiting. What is/was your course of action if you don't mind me asking? I am just waiting of the tie-breaker I guess- this took me totally by suprise I don't know what to think - I am grateful for such wonderful care of course. Blessings
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
I'm not a doctor but I can share my own experience.  My FNA came back with follicular cells that were "probably adenomatoid" but my ENT said it's impossible to determine the difference between benign and malignant follicular nodules on an FNA so he did a partial thyroidectomy and removed the nodule, which turned out on final pathology to be papillary carcinoma follicular variant.  With your family history and multinodule situation and the fact that it appears that a couple of your nodules weren't even able to be thoroughly evaluated, I would definately want another opinion.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Thyroid Disorders Community

Top Thyroid Answerers
649848 tn?1534633700
Avatar universal
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
We tapped the CDC for information on what you need to know about radiation exposure
Endocrinologist Mark Lupo, MD, answers 10 questions about thyroid disorders and how to treat them
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.