Thyroid Disorders Community

WHAT IS HYPOTHYROIDISM

HELLO Everybody, Since last January I have been to Doctor for an acute case of gouty arthritis, and as my new Doctor was looking through my file he noticed I had a kidney removed in 1992 because of a "staghorn"
for those who don't know the stone was so big it grew into the whole kidney even the vessels etc hence the
name stags horn.  Next thing I knew I was being send for an ultra sound and blood tests. and told I have hypothyroidism i don't know what that is and how something in my neck could have to do with the rest of my body, could anyone give me any info.  I have arthritis and it is very painful in hips feet knees and my fingers are now lumpy and very sore.  I am also very tired all the time and, I am overweight but I have problems with flat feet and if I walk very far my insteps swell and become very painful.
Can anybody tell me how much of the above can be put down to hypothroidism.
Colette, you can start by reading this forum's health pages. The link is found above and to the right. You can choose from a number of informative articles which will help you understand hypothyroidism.