Doubts

Hi Kande,
           Will smoke in any form,crowd and outside food have effect on kidney rejection ? Please advice.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi Gigi, Well happy transplant anniversary #2!!!   Yes sweetheart I would avoid all smoke!
Helpful - 0
Thanks,for the information,but what about crowd and outside food,I'll be completing 2 yrs this June 8th ?
Helpful - 0
Hi Gigi, Yes, I would avoid inhaling the smoke.  :o)   ~Kande
Helpful - 0
Tats exactly wat it will be--ther is agni or fire,a big one and they will keep on pouring pure ghee in it for it to burn well so tat it lasts till the function is over,for about 4 hrs or so.I just wanted to know if I need to avoid inhaling of this smoke.(they also put cow dung for extra good burning),in front of this only the bridegroom and bride tie the Thali,or mangalasutra,a sacred thread,done by the Hindus.
Helpful - 0
Hello
Forgive the misunderstanding its just your question was phrased (smoke in any form).
I am gald you do'nt smoke or do drugs. As far as Agni fire i did some reading on it and there are so many types of incense and others used it is hard to pin down. I personally would try avoid breathing anything smokey especially after having a kidney transplant .
To give it all the chance it could get to take. Some believe the incense or whatever has healing properties of that i do'nt know. Is this what you are describing below?
D
The worship of fire or Agnihotra is an ancient Vedic practice. In the Vedic pantheon, the highest functions are ascribed to Agni, the god of fire.

The system of Agnihotra essentially involves worshipping the Supreme Power through fire. The Agnihotra system popularized by Trichy-based R. Venkatesan in India, has its own guidelines. He advises that it should be done at sunrise and sunset: "At sunrise, a subtle energy emanates from the sun and produces a flood effect. At sunset, this flood recedes, resulting in a growth of pathogenic bacteria. Agnihotra has a bacterio-static effect on the atmosphere." Venkatesan prescribes surya stuti (mantras worshipping the sun) and agni stuti (mantras worshipping fire) as the appropriate chants during Agnihotra. He also claims that regular practice of Agnihotra can keep you in perpetual good health.

"Fire is the most powerful of all energies," adds Delhi-based Sheeba Loganey, an Indian reiki master and practitioner of the fire ceremony. "When we sit next to the fire, all our chakras open up and get cleansed." The small copper havan kund used in the ceremony is pyramidal in shape. "The smoke creates a pyramid of positive energy," she says, "which envelops the practitioner." The fire ceremony can be conducted any time, in any place and for as long as you wish.

If so hard to say. What type of enclosure and how much smoke is present so on and so forth. Maybe just a case by case judgement on your part. Tough call when it involves your work.
Best i can do
D
Helpful - 0
I DONT smoke,what I meant was the smoke which comes in religious ritual function in our Indian marriages called (Agni - fire) if you have heard about it. Infact I hate people who have all bad habits like smoking,drinking,drugs etc.By God's grace,both my boys dont have such bad habits.I need to attend lot of very important weddings,and dont know what to do ? Please advice.
Helpful - 0
Hello i used to smoke but i gave it up, here is some lit. on it.

Printer-Friendly Email This  

Smoking Linked to Acute Rejection of Kidney Transplant

Melissa Schorr
Information from Industry
Assess clinically focused product information on Medscape.
Click Here for Product Infosites -- Information from Industry.

May 31, 2005 (Seattle) — In addition to other known risks, cigarette smoking may be associated with acute rejection following kidney transplantation, according to new research presented here at American Transplant Congress 2005: 6th Annual Joint Meeting of the American Society of Transplant Surgeons and the American Society of Transplantation.

"Several studies have shown cigarette smoking correlates to worse outcomes after transplantations, such as mortality and graft failure," Bertram Kasiske, MD, a professor of medicine at the University of Minnesota, Minneapolis-St. Paul, told Medscape. "This is the first study to find a correlation with acute rejection as well."

The researchers looked at more than 4,000 patients who received a kidney transplant at Fairview University Medical Center and Hennepin County Medical Center, Minneapolis, Minnesota, between January 1984 and July 2004. Patients were asked whether they currently were smokers. About one quarter of recipients admitted to smoking at the time of receiving their transplant.

The researchers compared outcomes of the transplant recipients up to 10 years. They adjusted the findings for factors including whether the organ was from a deceased or living donor, the year of transplantation, any prior transplants, age, ethnicity, years of prior dialysis, donor age, donor sex, donor cause of death, major histocompatibility mismatches, percentage panel reactive antibody, body mass index, and delayed graft function.

Those who smoked cigarettes had a 51% increased relative risk of graft failure, a 45% increased risk of mortality, and a 24% increased risk of acute rejection. The rate of acute rejection was 27% higher after the first year and 21% higher at five years.

It was unclear if there is a biological reason, such as interference with the immune system, or if smoking is simply a risk factor for a socioeconomic factor, such as being less likely to comply with other therapies, Dr. Kasiske said.

While smoking is not a contraindication to receiving a transplant, it may be useful information for physicians to consider when tracking patients postsurgery, Dr. Kasiske said. "I would encourage people to stop smoking, but we do not stop transplantation if they do not smoking," Dr. Kasiske said. "Maybe it is another thing to watch for, an awareness that maybe these partients are at higher risk of rejection. It is nice to know who is at risk for noncompliance."

David J. Cohen, MD, medical director of the kidney transplant program at Columbia University, New York, NY, reviewed the research and told Medscape that there are some data that smoking is bad for kidney function. "I would not be surprised if there is some biological effect," Dr. Cohen said. "We still perform transplantations on people who smoke cigarettes, but now, I can tell them, you will have a worse outcome."

The study was independently funded. The authors reported no pertinent financial disclosures.

ATC 2005: 6th Annual Joint Meeting of the American Society of Transplant Surgeons and the American Society of Transplantation: Abstract 13. Presented May 22, 2005.

Reviewed by Gary D. Vogin, MD

Helpful - 0
Hello Gigi, Do you smoke? Because smoking cigaretts will effect a kidney transplant. Smoking will cause a 51% increase in risk of graft failure, 45% increase of mortality, 24% increase risk of acute rejection. Acute rejection was 27% higher the first year. 21% higher after 5 years. Smoking effects kidney function, so if you do smoke...please stop! Thanks Gigi!  ~Kande
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Transplants Community

Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.
PrEP is used by people with high risk to prevent HIV infection.
Can I get HIV from surfaces, like toilet seats?