Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close

Hallucinatng for 6 days

My sister had liver transplant one week ago today. She's hallucinating and delusional 24/7 for 6 days. She's not slept at all post surgery. They've given her given her many different things to make her sleep but no sleep to be had. Also her white blood cell count continues to rise, 12.5 to 16.2 overnight.  Urine test show no infection. No fever. CT shows brain is fine. The doctors keep telling us this is normal but nurses say they've never seen anything like this.What can be going on?

Thanks in advance.
1 Responses
163305 tn?1333668571
What medication is she taking ? After my transplant,( in 2009) they had me on morphine and yes, I was indeed hallucinating and delusional. Morphine also can disrupt sleep.
There also is a syndrome called surgical psychosis which is common after something as traumatic as a liver transplant. My guess is the reaction may be a combination and just because your sister's reaction may be more extreme doesn't mean it isn't abnormal.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Transplants Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child
This article will tell you more about strength training at home, giving you some options that require little to no equipment.
In You Can Prevent a Stroke, Dr. Joshua Yamamoto and Dr. Kristin Thomas help us understand what we can do to prevent a stroke.