Who should I listen to?

Two doctors, two conclusions. My transplant was Dec, 2, 2013. Just after the transplant I was on 10 mg. of Prograf a day for a couple of months or more. Slowly, after time, the doctor lowered it to 4 mg. daily. After two years I'm now at 3 mg. daily.

The interesting point here is this: The hepatologist that treated me for 13 years before my transplant saw my latest blood work of six weeks ago and he would have me on 1 mg. a day. The doctor at UCLA Medical Center that is treating me now, does not want me to take less than 3 mg. a day.

The same doctor who treated me for 13 years said I could have a glass of wine daily since my liver is in great condition.  The doctor at UCLA said not one drop of wine. Who should I or you listen to?

Magnum
There is research showing that transplant recipients do better when on as low a dosage of prograf as possible. My guy in S.F. had me going for a trough level of between 2 and 5. Many docs aren't aware of the newer research. I'd go for doing less,and keep an eye on your blood work.
I will insist on it after the next blood work on Nov 23rd, as I always do.
Oh, and I agree that a little wine shouldn't hurt, I mean, you have a healthy new liver. As for me, I find since not drinking for so long, it gives me headaches unless it has no sulfides, i.e. organic only
.

You are reading content posted in the Transplants Community

For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.