Undiagnosed Symptoms Forum

Motor Neuron Syndrome

Can anyone please tell me what Motor Neuron Syndrome is. I am guessing and hoping it is not the same as Motor Neuron Disease.

I am currently have tests to determine what is wrong with me but have been sent a letter saying I have Motor Neuron Syndrome and further tests should identify the cause.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
There is no specific disease known as Motor Neuron Syndrome - to my knowledge.

There are a group of motor neuron diseases.  They are a group of progressive muscle diseases that affect cells that control muscle activity.  Common MND's include amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), progressive bulbar palsy, primary lateral sclerosis, and progressive muscular atrophy.

Further tests like an MRI and nerve conduction studies can be done to rule out other causes, and I would discuss these findings with a neurologist.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.
kevinmd_
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.
Here are the pros and cons of the top fad diets and weight loss plans of the year.