Stomach Cramp, Diarrhea, sweating , light headedness and fainting

I have experienced on 4 occasions in the last 6 years a rather weird Diarrhoea attack which really is painful and scary. Here is a description of what occurs.

1. Sudden abdominal pain which increases in intensity over a short time. The same sensation one might get when they are about to get Diarrhoea.

2. I go to the toilet and try excreting whatever wants to come out. However after about a minute of sitting there with nothing coming out I suddenly few light headed and am starting to get a dizzy spell like I am about to faint and my breathing weakens.

3. This borderline fainting sensation lasts for about another minute before I break out into a sudden sweat all over my body. Within a few seconds I have sweat literally pouring out of me, my clothes are wet as if I ran a marathon or something.

4. After a minute of sweating I suddenly feel something coming out of my rear end. I try to squeeze it out and only a hard stool comes out.

5. The sweating stops and the stomach cramp subsides. I think everything is over and I clean up. I walk out of the toilet and in about 2 minutes time the stomach cramp and the fainting sensation comes back (I've fainted only once to date from this and was out for about 15-20 minutes).

6. When I get back to the toilet I have a really violent Diarrhoea episode in pure liquid state. It takes a few minutes to subside and once I
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I just had an episode like this today. I was in a meeting when I felt a cramp on the left side of my abdomen. It hurt so bad that I doubled over (I was sitting at the time). I then felt intensely hot/cold and clammy and slight dizzy. I felt pins and needles in my arms. It suddenly subsided and returned a few minutes later. I got up thinking I just needed to stretch out my abdomen and nearly fainted. I went to the bathroom right after and felt better but still weak and the pins and needles in my arms lingered. I also developed a horrible headache. I saw my doctor and she diagnosed me with gerd and started me on medication and stool softeners. The thing is im not usually constipated but I have been the past few days. Im happy I found this forum. I wasnt satisfied with the doctors prognosis because I dont have heart burn or reflux. Thanks to all of you fir sharing!
Helpful - 1
At least I am not the only one??? I am a 29 y/o female and like most of you, I have had this horrible episodes since I was in high school, but they are very infrequent. I know that I am a bit of a "worrier", I over analyze everything (and I chose a profession in analytics). I am trying to get better, not stressing over those things that are out of my control. However, when a lot of work and personal stress piles up, I know it can make me emotional and exhausted.

After reading all of these comments, glancing through all the others that share the same debilitating symptoms, I feel slightly relieved that it isn't a myth (or my own brain playing tricks on me). I also feel worried that they may never find an answer or something to resolve these horrendous episodes.

When I feel this pain in my stomach and the flushing starts, I will grab any and all things cold to prevent the passing out (there are lots of ice packs and ice cubes involved, and often a freezing cold shower).

While I was pregnant I had them much more frequently. In fact, I would sit on the tile floor with little clothing on to prevent from getting "over-heated" as my husband and I call it. During that period my stomach was in constant knots and I had to put this medicine under my tongue to reduce the pain.

I have only passed out once, almost immediately after having my daughter. I knew it was coming on and told the very tiny nurse (I had to be double her size post-birth) that she "better get someone to help, I was going down". The last thing I remember was grabbing her side and down I went. When I woke up I was very disoriented, but thankful that I was already at the hospital. That was almost 4 years ago.

I suppose after having my daughter a year went by and I had another late-night event. The following morning I went to the doctor. In which, they cited my vagus/vagal nerve as well, but told me that when I have these feelings to lay down in case I pass out (duh!). The one after that was about at a year ago, but I had a severe stomach bug that resulted in two full days on the bathroom floor, so it could just be the bug that got me that time. Just when I thought these things might be over for good, I had another episode last night.

After reading these comments and suggestions, it looks like I can start with making some real changes to my diet. I am a heavy dairy eater and know I don't have a great diet (in fact, I would eat dessert before I would eat anything dinner sometimes).

I am wondering if tomato-based meals are the root to my evil. I ate pizza last night (cheese and tomato), and it hit me about 1:15am. I also am guilty of a small bowl of ice cream or a glass of milk before bed at times. I am going to cut out some things, reduce others and see if this will help. It would be great if someone could find a cure or provide something that would provide immediate relief during one of these episodes. I will keep on a look out to see if someone has any answers or additional suggestions.
Helpful - 0
Wow, this is unreal.  I had exactly the same thing happen to me last week, just exactly as you described it (except no hard stool--just diarrhea). The same thing also happened to me 10 yrs ago, after I ate some fish; I thought at the time maybe the fish was bad, but now that the same exact thing happened again, I know it wasn't food poisoning. I do get diarrhea with bad cramps maybe 4 or 5 times a month, but not to the extent of fainting. Both times the fainting/diarrhea attack happened to me, I had just finished eating. The diarrhea lasted about 3-4 days, with some minor rectal bleeding. Also, I've noticed that when I get the "milder" diarrhea attacks, they're usually in the morning, anywhere from 5 min. to an hour after drinking my morning cup of coffee, or after eating lunch. I don't have any major health problems other than this!
Helpful - 0
I too can relate to your story. Not just an hr ago I went through this same thing: stomach cramps and nausea; light headed, turned pale, I got really hot all over sweating from head to toe; loss in blood pressure that I couldn’t even hold my head up, felt like I would pass out; severe stomach cramps and liquid diarrhea, in my case there was no hard stool. I have experienced this problem probably 5 or 6 times in my life and I am 46. Difference today is that I did not eat a thing all day, only 3 cups of coffee over a 2 hr period and this episode occured around noon. In the past I some times felt like vomiting, but today I did not. After it subsided I had to lay down for an hr only for it to begin all over again, but this time not as bad. I was diagnosed last yr with a hiatal hernia and was prescribed Nexium twice a day. This is hereditary unfortunately. I just have to watch what I eat. I had forgotten to take my Nexium today.  I really believe it's a diet thing, watch your intake, don’t abuse it.
Helpful - 0
It's a twelve year old thread, but I'm so happy (2021) to finally come across people who have exact the same symptoms. Thank you all for your answers!
I live with this condition since I'm ten years old, for thirty years now. Have it also 2-5 times a year. No doctor or somebody else (not even the mighty online world) could tell me what that condition is.
Everytime I feel like dying, and it's seems nobody believes me the intensity of such an attack. It's not even pain...it's pure agony....hard to describe......cannot breath, sweating....cramps.... blood pressure drops.....and sometimes I get squeezed into fainting.

But.....dear friends...... obliviously I'm not a doctor and I don't know what that condition is, 3 years ago after an attack so violently I had  to try to self medicate myself.
I always had the feeling that bad stuff in the guts has to come out, hence the dhiarria attack. So I was instinctively afraid of taking any anti dhiarrhea medication. But one day when a attack started I took the decision to take 2 pills of Imodium (Loperamid) and it was the best decision I made. I found out that all the resulting symptoms of sweating, blood pressure drops, breathing problems, fainting, came from the colic spasms, means the overworking of the gut peristaltic (gut movement to squeeze and liquify). All what Loperamid does is stopping the gut movements for a few hours. And that's the immediate remedy for all the symptoms (not the cause obviously). Wherever I go I always have Loperamid with me....always. Whenever you feel the slightest start of these typical gut feelings immediately take a pill or two! It's stops the progression in 3-10 min. I prevented so many of these attacks in the last three years, for me it really works and the relieve from fear and pain is so great that I just could not not tell people about it. The quicker you take it ( even after first intuition) the more pain and agony you could save yourself. Sometimes I take it as a provilactic for train plane bus travels ect. situations where I know I would cause big trouble and probably ambulance because I could in that attack not explain to anybody to just leave me alone and not touch me slouching on the toilet seat.

It works so well this Loperamid and therefore want to finally share it with fellow sufferers.
I hope it can help you to lose some fear over imminant attacks.

I wish you all the best.....may you find relieve.

Daniel
Daniel,

I have had this same condition for almost 10 years now. I can’t wait to try this. No doctor including my GI doctor can tell me what this attack is. I get one every 4-8 months with nothing I can relate it to. How does the Imodium work so quick? It would seem that it would take longer to get into your system. Each of my attacks last 20-30 minutes. Do you recommend 1 or 2 pills at onset??  I am so grateful for this info!

Debbie
Hi Debbie, fellow sufferer;)

I really hope it can help you too. (But I would wish you would never have a chance to try it out;))
If it works for you in the same way, you (we) should really start a new post and share the findings.

I normally take two pills of Loperamid (2mg dose) when the attack has already started and I have nothing to loose any more;).

When I recognize it early I take one (just to save my pills) that often prevents it as well. But 2 pills are the normal prescription dosage for a first attack anyway. So it should be save.

But you must have it as handy as possible, maybe in your wallet or handbag all the time. I had times I hardly could get it out of my belt bag, could hardly move my arms. I knew the remedy is in my pocket 40 cm from my mouth but I had no strength fumbling it out of the plastic zip bag:(. Finally when I was on the floor I could grab it and swallow it dry. Then it worked as usual:).

Oh my goodness ... Last week I fainted twice on the floor......it comes so quick sometimes. Three years ago my heart nearly didn't make it. That's when I tried the Loperamid.

I friend recommended me duspatin but it didn't work until I added two Loperamids.

Another routine I do - if I can - is to have a bucket next to my bed if I feel it could hit me at night while sleeping. I will then defecate in the bucket, sitting on it in the bed or next to it. That being a bit lower (close to the Asian squat toilet style) seems to relax the bowels a bit more and I can better drop and relax my upper body on the knees. If I faint I'm not hurting myself. And a have a blanket against the cold.
I life alone in rural Thailand, and my bathroom is outside my hut. So that's how I developed the bucket system...I couldn't even make it to the bathroom downstairs. Another benefit is you can lay down on your back with the knees up and relax and built up calm and strength until the next convulsion kicks in, it makes a difference. Laying down makes the breathing easier and keeps the blood flow to the head steadier.

In my case it's often chilli, too spicy, spoiled food, raw food in Asia, but in the end nothing really for sure.

Last year I got colonoscopy and gastroendoscopy and all they could find was Heliobacter in the stomach, which is pretty common. My guts are normal he said. Not even inflammation or something. So it's still a mystery what it is. But I clearly remember when I was a child I went to the local drugstore and bought myself a pack of German throat longezes (Salmiac violet oil liquorice candy) and ate the whole package in one day (full addiction binge). After that binge I clearly remember having my first attack. I must be around 10-12ish. I probably messed up my system with that gooey stuff. From then on I had it 3-7 times a year.
Maybe it's psychosomatic too. Dunno.
But since the Loperamid miracle I feel much more at ease with it.

I really hope it can help you to cope with that condition more easily.

May best wishes for your health

Dan

Hi Debbie, fellow sufferer;)

Maybe it's psychosomatic too. Dunno.

May best wishes for your health

Dan

I have this something similar happen to me after an intense workout. If I go to the gym and run on the treadmill or do the elliptical it wont happen. But if I play in a soccer game, which is a lot more intense, then it happens consistently. During the game I dont sweat much...I would say a normal amount. But when I am done playing, my back/chest/stomach area sweat profusely all night long. Only those areas though. Not my face or lower body at all. I take a shower-have even tried cold showers and I still soak the bed everytime. I have to sleep with towels wrapped around my upper body and change them every 30 minutes because they get soaked so quickly. Sometimes I also have stomach cramps along with this. Sometimes bad and sometimes not that bad. If I have a bowel movement right before playing or dont eat anything the whole day(which is also dangerous), it doesnt happen. I dont know what could be wrong with me but it very annoying and sometimes scary.
Helpful - 0
Go for a WALK immediately upon onset of symptoms. The movement massages the gut, aiding the elimination process. It won't eliminate the pain (though sometimes it helps) but it helps the body get over the ordeal faster. At least it does for me.

Of course, if you feel faint, STAY PUT and sit or lie down, preferably in a carpeted room (not a concrete floor, like I've passed out on before).

I too have found that eating greasy food sometimes precipitates an episode.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community