Undiagnosed Symptoms Community
25k Members

What is gram positive cocci?

I cut my toe...wound culture showed no STAPH or MRSA. But did show a little bit of gram positive cocci? What is gram positive cocci? I’ve been feeling a slight numbness and warm/cold feeling in my leg could it be caused by this? The nurse said there was only a little?
What did the doctor or nurse tell you to do about this result?
Gram-positive bacteria are bacteria that give a positive result in the Gram stain test, which is traditionally used to quickly classify bacteria into two broad categories according to their cell wall.

Cocci means sphere-shaped. there are 2 gram positive cocci bacteria that are pathogenic to humans,  Streptococcus and Staphylococcus.  So basically while there was no Staph "Infection", there was probably staph bacteria present. That is not abnormal at all and is common for you to have a small amount of staph or strep without it actually infecting you.