Avatar universal

high conjugated bilirubin level

I am a male of 60 years without health problems. My level of conjugated bilirubin is 1.4 mg/dl while 0,1-0,3 is normal.
Unconjugated is 0,25 which is normal and excludes Gilberts Syndrom.
All other values are normal AFT=67 (normal=0-125) ALAT=30 (normal=0-45 );GGT=17,5 (normal =0-45)
My docter said she doesnot know of any disease with this values. However it is difficult to ignore the fact that something somewhere doesnot function properly.
Some genetic problems, with these effects can be found, but only in isolated places in the world,

I wonder if anyone has heard of people where only conjugated bilirubin is elevated or of the possible reason of this symptom.
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
351246 tn?1379682132
Thanks for writing to the forum!
High conjugated or direct bilirubin is usually a sign of bile stasis by stricture, cancer, tumor or any other cause. It is also a common finding of hemolytic anemias like sickle cell anemia. Please refer to this link for all causes of rise in direct bilirubin: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003479.htm
The enumerated the possibilities can be investigated or ruled out one by one. Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Have your doc read this:
Quote from this article: "Diseases that reduce the rate of secretion of conjugated bilirubin into the bile or the flow of bile into the intestine produce a mixed or predominantly conjugated hyperbilirubinemia due to reflux of conjugates back into the plasma. Elevated conjugated bilirubin levels usually indicate hepatobiliary disease."

Maybe the flow of conjugated bilirubin is obstructed, while your liver function is normal?

Also this, from the same article:

"The kidneys do not filter unconjugated bilirubin because of its avid binding to albumin. For this reason, the presence of bilirubin in the urine indicates the presence of conjugated hyperbilirubinemia."

Ask your doc to do a urine test for conjugated bilirubin. And ask for whatever tests are there to see obstruction of the biliary tree (the set of vessels through which conjugated bilirubin and other things are secreted into the intestine).

Good luck!
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Undiagnosed Symptoms Community

Top General Health Answerers
363281 tn?1643235611
Nelson, New Zealand
1756321 tn?1547095325
Queensland, Australia
19694731 tn?1482849837
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
In this unique and fascinating report from Missouri Medicine, world-renowned expert Dr. Raymond Moody examines what really happens when we almost die.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
When it comes to your health, timing is everything
We’ve got a crash course on metabolism basics.
Learn what you can do to avoid ski injury and other common winter sports injury.