Urology Community

Hydroquinone on neonatal circumcision scar

Will a hydroquinone-based product like Scarguard Lightener permanently & safely lighten a neonatal circumcision scar?

When I was circumcised as a baby, the resulting scar was very dark and uneven. It has always embarrassed & bothered me, and I've gotten negative comments on it from women. I want it gone. I read hydroquinone can lighten "dark brown scars" which sounds like what I have from a nenonatal circumcision. The OTC Scarguard Scarlight / Lightener says to ask a DR if applying to a mucous membrane (where part of the scar goes).

1. Will it work?
2. Are the effects permanent? Or do you have to continue using the hyrdoquinone product forever to maintain the lighter appearance?
3. What are the risks that prompted the warning?