Avatar universal

Urologist or Internal Med?

Symptoms: Chronic microhematuria, fatigue/malaise, severe bilateral flank pain/bone pain, achey lower central abd/pelvic pain, and unrelenting severe night sweats.
History: Right dermoid ovarian cyst, Post menopausal per supracervical hysterectomy-No HRT due to Mothers non hormonal r+ breast CA, +smoker, light etOH use. Grandmother (maternal side) had hx DM and also died of Bladder CA, Bothers and mom also have microhematuria.     History of vertigo and MRI shows ovoid lesions in corpus collusum/High T1 and suspected demyelination  but neuro says NOT MS.  Got more insignificant Hx, but I just think it's time to get this looked at again.  
Have seen urologist in past for cystos and IVP's (about 3 years ago), but no longer have complete insurance coverage. My most severe symptom is the back *bone pain with the night sweats. Who should I go see? My IM MD or my old urologist?
2 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
1711789 tn?1361308007
Hi there!

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of your symptoms. Possibilities that may need to be considered include renal causes such as bergers disease, infections, inflammations, calculi, growths/ masses, gynaecological issues such as endometriosis, hormonal/ endocrine imbalances etc. The back ache may or may not be related to the other symptoms, though we would need to keep cancer high in the list due to a positive family history. I would suggest starting with the IM MD initially since you may need to see a nephrologist and/ or a urololgist. Depending on the condition diagnosed/ suspected it can be managed accordingly or specialist care may be sought.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Thank you for your response. After a lot of testing and 'pictures', my IM doc referred to a medical oncologist for my bladder as well as an orthopaedic oncologist for my spine.
Helpful - 0
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Urology Community

Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449504372
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Discharge often isn't normal, and could mean an infection or an STD.
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Herpes sores blister, then burst, scab and heal.
Herpes spreads by oral, vaginal and anal sex.
STIs are the most common cause of genital sores.
Condoms are the most effective way to prevent HIV and STDs.