Avatar universal

epididymitis back after varicocele tie off

Age 23/Height 5'7''/Weight 150 lbs. No past medical issues.

At the end of last summer, I began have discomfort and slight pain in my left testicle and urinary tract. My symptoms were: soreness and extreme discomfort in left testicle, enlarged veins in testicle and frequent urge to urinate (that is the best I can explain this symptom. It is a weird feeling I get in my penis, definitely in the urethra).

My doctor prescribed me anti biotics and eventually after they didn't work, had me under go a surgury where the "tied off" my varicocele vein. The recovery was pretty brutal but about a month and a half after the surgery, I began to feel better. Then after a month of feeling fully recovered, my soreness and pain came back full force.

Now my symptoms are:
- Pain and soreness in left testicle.
- Enlarged vein in testicle
- Lower left abdomin fullness, soreness, and pain
- Frequent urination and urethra discomfort

- Doxycycline: I have been on this for about a week now and it has not helped
- Phenazopyridine: Took this for the three days my doctor prescribed and it did not help

From what I have read online, it sounds like I have Chronic Epididymitis. I am a very active person and this problem has really been hindering my life. Anyone have any thoughts on what's wrong with me/what I can do? Do people ever have to get two surgeries to tie off varicocele (I ask because the vein is enlarged again)? Has anyone heard of this condition coming back to someone after getting this procedure done?

Thank you so much.
3 Responses
Avatar universal
I'm not a doctor, but I've been through the pain of varicoceles. My suggestion is to find a urologist who listens and has dealt with them before. Your family doctor is not going to be of much help.
Avatar universal
Did you eventually get yours treated? If so, what was the remedy?
Avatar universal
My first option was surgery to have the varicocele removed. That was in 1985, so I'm not current on the techniques available today. A urologist should be able to evaluate you and tell you the options available.
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Urology Community

Top Urology Answerers
11369760 tn?1449504372
Southwest , MI
Learn About Top Answerers
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Dr. Jose Gonzalez-Garcia provides insight to the most commonly asked question about the transfer of HIV between partners.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child