Distal Gastric Bypass Mal-absorption problem.

I had a Distal Gastric Bypass surgery done back in 1998 and because of my weight the surgeon opted to bypass 63% of my small intestine. Besides the huge scar from my breast bone to my belly button, all went well and I have had no out word problems. As a result I lost 258 lbs and because I followed my specialists directions on living right and eating right, I have done very well until lately when as I got older, (I am now 56) I started losing height and as of my last doctors visit, have lost seven inches and now have a bad "grandmothers" hump in my back and several vertebra that are almost non-existent and I have a lot of pain from pinched nerves in my lower back.
  My Doctor has me on hydrocodone two tabs every four hours for pain at the maximum dose (so she says) of 10/325 per tablet and two tablets every four hours.
I have been on this dose for four years now but now as I get older and shorter the dose is not enough. She tried to put me on oxycodone, but for some reason, she says the most of that she can give me is two 10mg tabs every six hours. I quickly discovered that getting oxycodone is a lot more difficult to get and if you have any problems the DEA marks your file as a drug abuser without even checking out why you had the problem.
  I was on this new dose and found it fell a little short of the relief I was getting with the hydrocodone subscription, and when I told that to my Doctor she stated she simply could not do any more that that dose of oxycodone, so I switched back to the hydrocodone for the time being.
  After searching the net I discovered I am not the only one with this same problem, as a mater of fact, there are thousands of other Distal Gastric Bypass people that are also in the same RED TAPE problem with pain medications.
  I have attempted to bring this problem to the DEA's attention but they are convinced they have a solid proven method on keeping track of drug abusers and they told me I must adhere to my Doctors advice and that was at best a polite way to tell me to take a flying leap off a bridge.
  As far as I can figure, oxycodone is just a bit stronger than hydrocodone, I would guess a hydrocodone dose of 20mg is the same as a oxycodone dose of 15mg so what my Doctor did was in reality, reduce my dosage when she tried putting me on oxycodone. I tried to see what it would take to place my relief back to where it was when I first started the hydrocodone and it matches when I use 30mg.  Of course I only tried this a couple times to be sure then went back to my regular dose, but i am sure I need just a little more to compensate for my age increase but still my Doctor says she cannot prescribe any more than what she has tried with the oxycodone, even that I discovered that it is available in tablets up to 60mg, so I don't understand why she is so limited.
  A good friend told me to find another Doctor, which I was hesitant to do because I have been with my current for several years now. However I did try to find another Doctor and they all refused to take me on because my pain contract was with my Doctor, even that I told them they could call her and arrange to switch me to them, so that was a huge waste of time and money for nothing not to mention getting my DEA file flagged for even looking.
  Where can I go and is there any proof I can get, to show my Doctor that she needs to understand this Distal Gastric Bypass Mal-absorption problem because now that they are concerned about the problem with long term Tylenol usage, I am afraid I may kill my liver because I am stuck with using hydrocodone to get close to the relief I use to have years ago, not to mention the skin rashes it is causing and is very embarrassing and annoying.      

This discussion is related to Distal Gastric Bypass Malabsorption.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Hi!
I am sorry to hear about your medical problems. Yes, the US has strict drug rules for opiates. I understand the problems faced by patients. However, pain should always be managed by medications and non-medication treatments like physiotherapy, massage, acupressure etc. Also, non-opiate pain medications can be added to opiate pain medications, and this combo will be more effective than a single drug.  Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Weight Loss Alternatives Community