laxative abuse and anorexia

I am a recovering anorexic. I secretly still am hanging on to laxatives. I use 9 a day. How do I stop? Please don't tell me to tell my doctor. I can't, even though I've tried. Thanks
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i stumple upon a dual diagnostic approach that integrate physical, emotional, psychological, аnd neurological ensuring well-rounded cure at http://www.laxativedependency.com/effective-cure-for-eating-disorder-with-depression/
Helpful - 0
Hi!
I want to commend you for taking the first step to recovery. I am 43 years old and have suffered from anorexia, bulimia, and abuse of laxatives for almost 30 years. I was headed on a downhill spiral in February of this year,. I was at 88 lbs from 108
(I had put on weight after I took the morning after pill). I knew in my heart that I could not stop the spiral - it would be my last. But somewhere, someone saved me. I had an enlightenment an I finally saw me as others saw me. For only a sec I saw how thin I was. I finally understood that I was showing everyone in the world  that I could not take care of myself and I blamed everyone else. I immediately stopped throwing up. For a couple of months, because of the discomfort I felt - my stomach was huge I would take lax one day a week -make sick as hell - but then it would become every 3 days then once a day - so I knew I had to get off. I switched to milk of magnesium which was a step down and finally stopped completely. SO for 3 or so months I have been lax clean. I hate to tell you this biut it is hell. YOu gain weight really fast because your body is getting adjusted to fluid and food - keep in mind I was still not eating anymore than a 1000 cal a day, but my body was trying hard to adjust. Remember GET SLEEP! WATER!! I have this huge stomach because I do eat a lot of salads - STAY AWAY FROM SALADS  -they will stay in your stomach forever. Eat early. I have gained about25 pouds - do not worry I took another mrningafter pill which made me gain12lbs in a week -. Bu after 3 months I still have problems. I only go to the bathroom about once a week and the stools are hard pebbles.. My stomach sticks out further than my fet. They say that this is when most relapses occur _ GET HELP NOW!! I know in my heart that I will always see a fat person but it is no longer important - staying alive is the most important thing on my list and shouldbe number one on yours! I am hoping every day that it goes away. I am very uncomfortable but I do not act on it. Get people who love you around you. My husband loves my newly formed ***.  Stay strong  -you have a wonderful life to live - people need you - people who are npt even born yet. TAke care and email any time different.white,***@****,
Helpful - 0
Thank you for this
Helpful - 0
Connie,  I do understand. I started taking 2 ducolax every 3 days 20 years ago plus and now I'm up  9 tablets a day.  In addition to stay skinny I was taking oxeyelite , hydroxycut and ally just to maintain my weight.  4 weeks ago I got the news that I have hypothyroidism (due to laxative abuse) ,extremely low potassium and osteoporosis.  All this is due to the abuse of laxatives and stimulants. I prayed and asked for help and stopped taking it all about 4 weeks ago.  I have gained about 15 lbs but I'm still alive and I'm showing improvement.  My bowels are moving on there own and I still have water weight but everything I've read says this can take sometime 3 months  for withdrawal.  I have to keep telling myself weight gain and bloating feeling is temporary.  I walk 30 minutes twice a day. Eat lots of fruits and fiber enriched food and continue to pray for strength  Please just stop, save your health and life
Helpful - 0
im sry u insulted by our anorexia, but being over weight can b just as unhealthy.  Sence u like to read alot please go purchase a book on eating 2 give a better understanding y we r way we r.
Helpful - 0
I am a recovering annorexic and I am not trying to be rude but you have no idea what you are talking about. Annorexia saved my life i was a victim of sexual abuse from a member of my church and not allowed help from family. Annorexia has NOTHING to do with being thin or fat but about controling something in your life when you have no control over other things especially pain from past abuse. When I became an adult I went through intense therapy and I feel I was given a second chance at having  a life.  My bff in the world is a food addict and weighs over 300 lbs.  I love her more than words and think she is a stunning beautiful woman however since her confiding in me the health issues that run in her family from weight i always encourage her to make healthy choices.  I know she can over come it because I did.  Food comforts her. When I was very sick the pain of not eating and the control of the number on the scale got me through years of flashbacks and ptsd.  I am writing you this so you realize that some annorexics anaway the body thing is secondary the control of Something  in your life when you feel sooo helpless and suicidal and dirty and guilty and bad is the only thing saving your life.  It is an addiction or it was for me. I still struggle and I have been healthy for 12 yrs.  When something stressful comes up my first reaction is still to limit my food intke and how I can do it without anyone knowing.  I enjoyed the pain because then my heart didnt hurt as much. I hope this sheds some light for you I am sure you are an amazing loving beautiful woman...
Helpful - 0
what is prolapse? ive been having some really painful side effects from my lax too. like a different kind of pain than normal. like i cant straighten out. i stay curled up
Helpful - 0
I have been suffering with ED for most of my life. I am 37 now and started obsessing over food when I was 9. When I was 17 I starved myself after my bf dumped me for my best friend.  Nevr sought help for it. Went away to college and discovered the magic of bulimia. Lived with this 'secretly' for 4 years before I had a melt down and sought help.

Continued to be bulimic on and off for years. Started abusing alcohol and laxatives. Now I am a recovering alcoholic and haven't purged in a few years. However, I do purge by taking laxatives. I have been abusing laxatives on and off for over 10 years. I am constantly fatigued and depressed. I am seeing a therapist and psych and being treated for depression (for over 13 years.) I have not told them yet a bout the lax. I want them to ask me if I abuse them so I can just surrender, but no one ever asks if I abuse them. It was hard enough to stop the bulimic cycle and alcohol. I don't know how to give up the lax. I take 4-5 each night and constantly have to go to the toilet. I know this is what is making my life miserable and tired all the time. I'm afraid to be in public and have no energy for anything.

Also, I have had full rectal prolapse for several years now due to the abuse of lax and am so embarrassed to get help for it. Has anyone had experience with the prolapse from abuse? I am scared to tell anyone.

~So sad
Helpful - 0
man all these comments irritate me SOO bad. YOU GUYS DONT KNOW WHAT FAT IS!!!!! I USED TO WEIGH 205!!!!! NOONE KNOWS WHAT FAT IS UNTILL THEY HIT THE 200S! i absolutely hate myself. and im not anorexic. im just on a diet. i eat when my chest hurts. its just a diet. but i do admit to abusing laxitives. the normal ammount doesnt work for me anymore. my body got to used to it. but you guys saying your fat up there and u only weigh 160. HAH! thats not fat! thats todays NORMAL! and im depressed. i cant go a single day with out wanting to die from how i look. i used to be suicidal and now my depression from that is mixed in with this. im not trying to kill myself anymore but i like knowing that i am. slowly.

i have gotten to a state where the littlest thing will just break me. i couldnt find my book yesterday and i layed in my room and cried over it. i dont know how i got this bad. and i didnt just pull myself under. my best friend was trying to get healthy and i told her what i was doing and so now shes seriously ill from bulimia. I DID THAT TO HER! and shes got depression too.

if anyone wanted to be anorexic i would tell them to go ahead and do it but to have a friend there with you to tell you when to stop. i have one friend that is healthy that can tell me if im stupid. im not saying that i listen but if it was that bad she would make me listen.

so, in short. no one on here knows what fat is. im the youngest of 9 and i used to be the fattest. now im the 3rd fattest and i intend to be as skinny as my 11 year old niece is.

take a second look at other people around you if you think your fat. cuz your probably not. your not fat until you fit comfortably in 2x.

:'[

-- dying
Helpful - 0
take one less a every few days so if u take 4 normally for example take 3 the next dai for a few days till you get used to it and then reduce it again untill you don't need it. Stop buying it and drink green tea as a replacement as it is a natural and harmless laxative and it really works i have tried it, u can drink as much as u want as long as the amount of overall water intake is not more then 2liters. Bin the laxative u have at home. And read the dangers of laxative so you feel gd about wat u r doing. I had 4 laxative yesterday for the first time and now i feel ****** i'm never doing it again. I'll stick to green tea. Gd luck
Helpful - 0
Helpful - 0
Hi Keisha.
I have been clean now for 7 months and i am proud of that. I had an addiction for about 4 years and was taking between 20-40 a day. I stopped for a bout 6 months in between and had regular sessions with an eating disorder specialist however a hiliday was to much much for me and i ended back on them. I used to take them in a morning as i new that they wouldnt become effective till evening time. the more food i ate the more i took. if i knew i was going out for a meal i would increase the amount so i could eat what i wanted and new i could get rid of it all later on in the evening.
the last straw came however when i had planned to go out for a meal with my b/f for my birthday. so i took 40!!! unfortunatly we had an arguement and we didnt end up eating. I had nothing to eat all day and i suffered for the next 24 hours with horrendous stomach cramps and dihoria. I vowed from that day on that what i had been doing was totally stupid and that i wouldnt do it again. and i can honestly say i havnt had any since!!!!
I always have some in the house though. its kind of a comfort thing. if i know i have some there i dont necessarily need them, where as if they werent there id want them if that makes sence.
it took a lot of will power and i think about them a lot however i didnt want it to ruin my chances of having children and i certainly dont want to have to walk round with a bag coz my bowls have collapsed.
I buy a fibre suppliment now which i find helps and also i have a glass of prune juice every couple of days. i have put on some weight, about 10lbs which i am not overly happy with but i just have to keep telling myself some of it is due to water retention, which you get rid of on lax, and that i am not fat. regular excercise and healthy eating is the way forward not thoes nasty tablets.
When i stopped the 1st time i did it by reducing the amount daily till i was taking that few that they had no effect. it did work however i didnt have the will power. you have to be focussed and as with all addictions YOU have to want to stop!!!
you can do it you just have to be strong

Good luck
Helpful - 0
Hi there, has anyone actually had success in getting off laxatives.
If so, can you please advice whats the procedure you took and how long did it take you to have regular natural bowel movements and whether you put on any weight?
Thankyou...
Helpful - 0
Hi - I think it's a bit unfair for people to blast hm so much - she's obviously a very caring person, and did go on a bit of a tangent but I think was still connected to the original thread, cos the question about laxatives is in what way are they addictive, and hm seems to be taking us into the philophical dimensions of the issue. I don't like swiping at people when they tale the time to write at length and  with passion about something - it doesn't seem humane.
I've been starting to use laxatives the last few weeks as I just came to the end of my tether withe post baby belly. I don't feel - or feel like I could become addicted to them - how did the addiction with them come about with you? I've recently stopped smoking - I stopped that for a year before too when I was pregnant. I kind of "know" how to stop smoking but know I have to wait for the right moment etc. Is it like that a bit with you? Nicola x
Helpful - 0
Just some observations from someone who lives with a person who has abused laxitives all her life. My mother-in-law was given laxitives on a regular basis (by her own mother) since she was a child. She refers to them as her "opening medicine". She is now 74 and has to live her life as follows as a result: She cannot leave the house at all until she has had a bowel movement, and then she worries about when the next one might be due. This impacts on her business as she cannot make apointments with clients. She cannot make any appointments at all. She cannot come on holiday with us as she cannot travel far from a toilet. She cannot go to the beach, or for a picnic, or to an outdoor music concert, or to the movies or anywhere else where there may be a queue for the loos. She is pertrified that she may be caught in a situation where she might not have immediate access to a toilet. When she has to go she has to go without more than a few seconds delay. She has bouts of the runs, chronic abdominal discomfort, episodes where she feels that she can't breathe, fainting spells etc. Her legs and ankles are so badly swollen she has difficulty walking, which lowers her chance of recovery as excersise is an integral part of recovery, a real catch 22 situation. I know 74 seems like a long way off to you youngsters, but her life has been totally controlled by laxituve abuse for many, many years. I feel so sad for her as her quality of life is a mess. She misses out on so much fun stuff and great times with her family who love her. I wish you young ones the strength to recover and will pray for you all.
Helpful - 0
Get off the forum and get a life. This is a help site, not a site for the mentally impaired.  
Helpful - 0
First of all, thank you for your very specific, medical-help approach to this topic. I feel like I've got a pretty solid plan as to how to do this and get back to normal. In all honesty--and not to be graphic, but--I miss having solid bowel movements, dammit! :) My question is, if I've only been abusing for about 6 months now, and at max I've taken 6/day, do you think I'll be able to recover relatively quickly?...Say, within a week? I'm going to by some Flax seed/Wheat bran on my way home from college tomorrow, and I'm really determined to kick this and enjoy my summer, 'regularly'. :)

Once again, thank you for being so to the point. Hope your recovery is going well. Hang in there!
Helpful - 0
heyy yeahh im going thRew the same stuff ive stopped my laxative abuse foR aboutt 2 weekss i juss need someone to talk to about itt if you cud PLEASEEE im me at ***@**** that wud be gReatt i rele appReciate youR helpp<33 and to the post pRiorfat if yahh need someone to talk too about recoveRing fROm laxative abuse im in the same pRocess i love talking to ppl who actually undeRstand my pRoblem and is going thRew the same thing as me thank you soo much <3
                                                                                                              -eRikaa
Helpful - 0
o.k. you guys.....I tried to use a laxative at least once a month, I am constantly afraid of gaining more weight and every time I eat I feel guilty afterwards.  Sometimes I wish I was anorexic or bulimic so I can be thin but when I hear about the consequences I get too afraid.  I LOVE FOOD but see it as a threat.  I look at myself and all I see is fat....can't get to the gym because I lack motivation. I hate the fact that nothing fits and cry because I'm disgusted with myself.  Is this how you guys felt at some point and became anorexic or bulimic? No one in my family or my husband's family has been exposed with this so I feel like I am not understood most of the times.  Please help!
Helpful - 0
dr. scholtz, a natural herbal health doctor has a program that cleanses the colon.  It starts out mild than the laxative effect occurs.  The only difference is that it's a whole program.  It has  abeginning, a middle, and an end.  The purpose of the program is to cleanse your colon so you don't need to use laxatives.  It also makes it so that you have more bowel movements.  I really recommend this program.  Once you are done, it is mandatory though, that you do not start taking laxatives.  good luck girls.  
Helpful - 0
hi. I am 16 years old, I have been abusing laxatives for the past year. Using laxatives helped me lose weight last year, it also helped me maintain my weight all of this year. I am 5'4" and 104 pounds. My mom found out last year that I was abusing them. she trusted me that I stopped, but secretly I was still buying them. i took five duculax everyday. It never really registers in me that I am basically, but slowly killing my self. I am scared I am someday going to die if it doesn't stop soon. about a week ago my mom found out I have been lying to her. she got upset. I promised her and myself that I will soon stop. ... but of course, once again, I found myself finding money around the house to go but duculax. I fear that I will NEVER stop. please help
Helpful - 0
I also DON'T want to, by any means...gain any weight. is there anyway I could stop taking them with out gaining anyweight
Helpful - 0
sorry posted twice cause didnt work the first time
Helpful - 0
hi...i was just wondering...how long does the really tough period of laxative withdrawal usually last? i have been taking them for 4 years now...how long do you think it would take me to get my body into a seminormal mode?
also, do colonics really work?
thank you
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Weight Loss Alternatives Community