1yr old eating habits

Just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get a 1yr to eat his vegies, Jhett used to love his vegies but now all he does is eat the meat and as soon as he has vegies left he tips the plate onto the floor, I'm thinking maybe they are to plain or something like that i don't want to rely making a sauce or something to put on top but i guess if i have to i will but just wondering what you ladies did.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
i never had a problem at that age w/ the vegies (its now that they are a little older that they won't touch them!).  the only thing i would say is to just keep offering them (maybe just a smaller amount so they aren't wasted if he doesn't eat them) and he might start eating them again.  i made the mistake of not offering them for a while and i swear its like the end of the world to them now when i tell them they have to eat them, lol!!!
Helpful - 0
I have a problem getting allie to eat period. lol. she doesnt want to eat her own food. she wants everyone elses. Allie loves peas, but thats about as far as she goes with veggies. i'd try putting something on them. i mean i know u don't want to ,but if it was me (Allie loves cheese) i'd put something like cheese on them
Helpful - 0
Maybe try giving him the veggies first, and after he has eaten a reasonable amount offer him the meat? Don't even let him know you have meat because if he sees it, I'm sure he'll pitch a fit.
Sometimes, in order for my ds to eat the "good" food, I have to give him the veggie first...which is usually peas, green beans or carrots. Even if he doesn't eat a lot of it, at least I know he ate some of it.
Helpful - 0
thanks it looks like the chesse sauce is going to be making an appearence oh well if it's the only way
Helpful - 0
I am in the same boat - I've tried mixing them into things so he can't tell they are there but that still has not worked out for me.  I try and limit what else I give him until he eats that kind of stuff - my son only likes cheese, yogurt and cereal - well and burgers I guess.  He never was picky then he turned 1 year and has turned in a whole different person it seems  :S  
Helpful - 0
i know it may sound mean, but i no longer serve my baby her food in separate 'piles' on the plate.  i mix it all up morning, noon, and night.  so if she wants spaghetti, she's got to eat the green beans with it!
Helpful - 0
also wanted to add that neither of my children have never had any trouble eating up any veggies b/c, contrary to what those popular parenting books say, i mix them w/ butter, salt, pepper, or cheese.  something, anything that makes them yummy like the rest of the meal.  no raw, unseasoned veggies are acceptable or passable for kids and i dont blame them, yuck
Helpful - 0
dd is a good eater in general, but there are some days where's pickier. here's some things that work.
~if i give her a fork, she will try anything. it takes a long time, but she is obsessed. sometimes she asks for help and i have to stab the veggies. othertimes she tries to stab and while she's working will pick some up and eat by hand.
~ try to find a way to keep it on the tray in front of him. he may pick without even realizing it. if dd starts to drop any food on the floor as a way to refuse eating it, i give her a separate bowl and show her how she can put it in there. as she works to place them in the bowl, she will often pick at them after all.
~keep the bowl on the tray even through dessert. today dd pushed away her food a bit earlier than normal. i kept the bowl nearby while she fed herself her yogurt. after a while she put down the spoon and picked at the dinner i had left there.

I don't recall how old he is. at 16 months, dd is just getting to the age where the following may work
~try offering it different ways. raw (she likes to nibble raw red peppers), or cut zucchini into the shape of fries and bake and offer with ketchup.
~teach him to dip into a lowfat dressing or ketchup. dd is just starting to get this concept. it is more dipping and licking off, but she does take some bites.

i myself was a VERY picky child (and adult). if a person doesn't like veggies, they don't like veggies. i can't explain it, but i simply cannot swallow many cooked veggies. these techniques will help if it's a behavioral thing or phase. keep introducing but don't push it. i was pushed and forced to eat many things. to this day i avoid most of them. but, like i said, offer it different ways. i can't handle the taste and texture of cooked veggies, but i can eat many of them raw. i can also eat it if it's "hidden" in foods to mask the flavors. if DH adds pureed butternut squash to a casserole i can eat it. i can also eat spinach in a meatsauce because i can't taste the spinach.
Helpful - 0
DS is 13 months. I tried letting him eat with a fork and his hands which he will only eat the meat so i''m going to try maybe mashing it all up and adding cheese or something like that,  but it wouldn't surpise me if he won't eat the veg as his older brother wont  eat them either, Plus i don't push it i offer the vegies and if he doesn't eat them i just throw them away.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.