3m old hates tummy time!

My 3m old DD hates tummy time and will immediately roll over when placed on her belly (she's been rolling over since 2months). I have tried placing her chest on a boppy pillow and laying beside her or in front of her with toys but she screams until she rolls over. She has a small flat spot on her head because she prefers her back so much. She does have neck control for the most part and is happy to be carried around but I know it is important for her to have tummy time too for her development plus I don't want her flat spot to get worse. The best I can get out of her is maybe 2-5 minutes before she's wailing. Has anyone else experienced this?
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I'm having the same problem w/my four month old.  I'm just limiting his time on his tummy to 1-2 minutes at a time and try that several times during the day.  I also put a mirror (toy) so he can look at himself while on his tummy.  He's gotten better since I started this little 'program'.  If you try anything else w/success, let me know.  I'm sometimes at my wit's end with this as well!
Helpful - 0
My son also hated tummy time. I got him a surf board mat from Target that had a pocket that you fill with water and it had floaty things in it. That seemed to keep him interested for a few minutes a day.
Helpful - 0
Brayden absolutely hates tummy time too. Makes him all pukey... grrr. So then I just got to thinking... what is tummy time all about.. getting them to stretch out their necks and so forth, but if he hates it what can I do? So then one night he was really gassy and fussy.. (even though he drinks enfamil gentlease), that I put him belly side down on my lap to pat his back and try to bounce all the air out of him. HE LOVED IT!!!! So now if I am just sitting around, surfing the web, folding clothes, or reading (I have no TV...lol) then I put him on my lap face down and he lifts his head up and stares all over the place..hehe He loves it, gets good exercise for his back and neck and I get to get some things done.. even if it is watching The Hills online.. hehehe!!
Helpful - 0
Do you know what that surf board mat thing was called?
Helpful - 0
Infantino tummy time surf mat. About $18 at target. Mine was blue but they have it in pink on target.com
Helpful - 0
thanks...I just found it at babies r us too...I'm going to get one this weekend:)
Helpful - 0
I hope it helps!!
Helpful - 0
My son hated tummy time too, he always acted completely outraged if you tried to put him down on his tummy! I was a bit of an 'anything for an easy life' type and didn't do it but by 4 1/2 months he discovered that he could roll over back to front and front to back and did it for himself. He met all his developmental milestone on time so obviously didn't suffer as a result of my apathy! Before that I think he hated being dependent on someone to turn him over and rebelled! He's 19 now and has no deficits apart from a seeming inability to bend down and load and unload the dishwasher!
Helpful - 0
My son recieved therapy.....He hated tummy time....This is what they did.....Take a round exercise ball (large one)  lay them across on there tummy and you can shift it from side to side.....while someone else entertains them lifting the head up...Even sitting on it and  shifting it to side to side strengthens the tummy...best of luck
Helpful - 0
Thanks every one for your comments! SuziB- your 19 yr old son comment made me smile!

GRose- I bought that tummy time mat and she likes it! Although she only will lie on it for about 10 minutes, it is 10 minutes more than what she was doing before-thanks for the suggestion!

I might try the exercise ball too and I've been trying to also put her across my lap more..I know it's good for her to have some time not on her back!
Helpful - 0
Yeah!!!! I'm glad it helped :)
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.