Women's Health: Postpartum Community

7 Week Old Sleeping Too Much

OK, I know this is going to sound crazy but could something be wrong if 7 week old is sleeping too much.  My DD slept from 12 last night til 10:30 this morning stayed up for 1 1/2 hours, slept for 2 hours drank a bottle and is sleeping again for about 2 hours.  I'm not sure what this could mean.  It seems like she just wants to eat and sleep.  Thanks
My DD was always a wonderful sleeper... By two months old she was sleeping 10+ hours straight each night!  Does your DD seem otherwise normal while she is awake?  It does seem like a bit much of sleeping, she may be going through a growth spurt... Does she have any signs of an illness?  I would call your pediatrician - just to be on the safe side...
She does seem fine otherwise other than just wanting to eat and sleep.  She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable or sick otherwise.  I'm hoping she is going to keep on sleeping through the night. Thanks for the reply.
growth spurt. enjoy it, it won't last :)
Their supposed to sleep like 15 or more hrs a day. No I dont think thats to much (for a 7 week old your lucky) but for babies in general that is normal.
Im suprise dyou keep her up so late.Have you tried or considered getting her down sooner...then you would have a little more time for yourself at night.
Most babies can and should take a nap in the morning..like after an hour or so of being up...then a nap or 2 in the afternoon...then night sleep.
But their sleep patterns do change with development.
As long as she is doing all her developmental milestones while she is awake and seems fine otherwise then she's fine.
It's normal for a 7 week old to sleep that much. My daughter always napped 3 times a day for about 1 1/2 to 2 hours and then slept 11pm to 8am each night. You can do a search about how much sleep a child should get and different ages. My daughter is almost 3 now and they say she should get 12-14 hours of sleep a day. They say that children that get the correct amount of sleep are normal weight, and children that don't are chubbier, I think that was on CNN but I'm not sure.

But yeah as long as she acts normal during her waking hours it is normal.
Pretty normal for a 7 weeker. Just be sure she gets plenty of breastmilk/formula during awakening hours. She seems very content. Rest should be encouraged. Take care.