Advice for a collicy baby? Help me! :(

My 2 week old is really collicy, she cried the entire night last night and has been crying off and on today.. She pulls up her knees like she's in pain and makes grunting noises like she's trying to poo but nothing comes out.. I've tried giving her infacol, trying to burp her, her swing, cuddling her, singing to her nothing is working :( has any other mum experienced this and do u have any advice for me? I feel like I'm a failure of a mum because I can't stop her from crying, I'm a ftm and I'm stressing out and extremely sleep deprived :'(
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Bump
Helpful - 0
I feel your pain mommy. It was a massive relief when my son outgrew colic. Sadly I found what worked one day didn't always work the next so I had to be very responaive to what he wanted and if all else failed we went for a drive so mummy didn't lose her mind! But some of the things that helped me was to sit him slightly upright to feed, stop regularly and burp throughout the feed, burp for a long time after the feed and keep him upright for a while afterwards, raise his bed slightly with a book at the top of the mattress, walk around in circles with his chest against my shoulder, take him outside for a change of scenery, gripe water, infacol, anti-regurgitation formula and most of all get a friend or family member that can take him for halfand hour so you can go outside or have a sshower and have a break from the crying. My dr got me to introduce solids a month early at 5mths and that also helped so your dr may have some ideas and tricks for you now and down the track. Your dr will also be able to say if its colic or something else. It does get better! Hang in there.
Helpful - 0
Also try the gas drops.  Those are wonderful and I couldn't live with out them for awhile!
Helpful - 0
Gripe water
Helpful - 0
Try burping baby mid feed... also burp for a good while after feeding.. make sure if its formula that milk is warm and if bf then avoid foods like onion, garlic and cabbage as they cause wind.  Lastly if a good while after a feed baby is clenching up still try a bath followed by massage to help baby relax and pass wind.. keep using the infacol meanwhile or gripe water... if none of this works after a few days and u are formula feeding it might be worth changing the formula.   Failing which speak to the midwife ... hth xx
Helpful - 0
Thank you ladies I'm willing to try anything! I feel so bad for my little girl I just want to make her feel better :(
Helpful - 0
Give your baby a few drops of collic calm. You can find it at target, walmart and baby stores. My daughter had collic issues when she was born and it helped a ton. Also tastes great. Don't be surprised when your babies poop turns black since the drops are a dark color.
Helpful - 0
If your breastfeeding it could be something that you're eating that's making her get stomach cramps or possibly have allergies
And if your formula feeding you might want to think about changing the formula maybe she's allergic/intolerant to dairy or soy
Helpful - 0
I discovered quite early on with my daughter that every time I ate milk products she was throwing up and crampy and especially if I had spicy food everything comes out in your breast milk
And if this is something sudden that's happening with her take her to the doctor
Helpful - 0
I'm not suppose to be posting on this forum, but I read all forums. My little one was "colic" and it turned out she had terrible acid reflux. She was in the hospital for 11days. Bring it up with your doctor for sure and try changing her diet!
Helpful - 0
Thankyou I will definitely ask my doc :)
Helpful - 0
I got tablets in the health shop (all natural no chemical or drugs) that you dropped into bottle in each feed they helped for a while.  I can't remember the name but maybe visit a local health shop?
hope you both get relief soon
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Women's Health: Postpartum Community

STDs can't be transmitted by casual contact, like hugging or touching.
Syphilis is an STD that is transmitted by oral, genital and anal sex.
Normal vaginal discharge varies in color, smell, texture and amount.
Bumps in the genital area might be STDs, but are usually not serious.
Chlamydia, an STI, often has no symptoms, but must be treated.